Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #1  

Hakim

Some of you may know Muhammad Chishti from this forum.

He & his brother Ibrahim have been at the US National Taekwondo
Championships this past week (until Sunday). They both
serve as International level referrees; both junior & senior
nationals are being held in Detroit, MI this week.

Besides seving as a judge and referee, Muhammad is one
of the top US national comeptitors in "forms" (Poomse).
We got the news last night that he won the Mens Senior
Black Belt Division in Pairs competition.

As winner of a spot on the US National Team in Poomse
(Forms) Pairs, he'll represent the USA and compete at the
World Championship's in Turkey, Dec. '08

Scroll down this page (won't be up for more than a day or so)
and look for Muhammad's name. He competed with Lilian Angel
as his partner, in the 14-35 year old Pairs Division.

USA Taekwondo

This was his goal two years ago, and now is member of US
National Team. We are very proud of his work and accomplishments.

Hakim Chishti
Unavoidably Happy Parent

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #2  
Muhammad and Hakim, Congratulations! I am a 2nd Dan in Tang Soo Do and a certified Ninjutsu instructor. I know just how difficult of an achievement this is. This takes many years of hard work and countless hours of training. For Muhammad to achieve this is just simply incredible. Forms are especially difficult as there is just you and the judges, usually 5 of them. You make a mistake, no matter how insignificant, they see it. I have never done partner forms, but the difficulty is still the same, if not more difficult. Is Muhammad sparring also? Is he doing any weapons forms?

I will be in Orlando next weekend (July 12) competing in the World Tang Soo Do Championships. There will be over 1700 competitors from all age groups. I'll be in the old man's bracket, 35-49.

Again, congratulations on Muhammad's achievement. And please, pictures!

As a matter of fact, I was just at my shop to train this morning when I took a break and saw this. This inspires me to go train even harder!

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #3  
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Competition at that level goes way beyond anything that I've ever experienced, so the amount of dedication and sacrifice that goes into just getting there is impressive. To actually win and be one of the best is truly inspirational.

Thank you for sharing the good news with us.

Eddie

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #4  
For Muhammad to achieve this is just simply incredible

I think it would be for almost anyone, but even more so when you consider all the other things Muhammad is involved in, such as this and other and other websites, and a few? other things.:rolleyes:

Congratulations, Muhammad!

And congratulations to his parents, too. I think they raised and taught a couple of fine young men.

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #5  
WOW, and of course we need pictures of Muhammad in action.
PJ

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #6  
Congratulations!!

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #7  
CONGRATULATIONS to all involved! I continue to be impressed and pleased by Muhammad and his works, including this site.

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition
I know just how difficult of an achievement this is. This takes many years of hard work and countless hours of training. For Muhammad to achieve this is just simply incredible. Forms are especially difficult as there is just you and the judges, usually 5 of them. ... Is Muhammad sparring also? Is he doing any weapons forms?
Thanks for your comments Andy. Muhammad & Ibrahim both have been in TKD sixteen years; they have been involved in high level competitive coaching and training for about the past three years. Muhammad won the Jr. Olympics Gold when he was about 14. He has been California & New York State Champion so many times I've lost count. He won four golds at the last CA State Finals a couple of months ago.

Ibrahim is a super heavyweight, and doesn't compete as often. But he is very active in TKD, being a highly rated International referee, and coaching Muhammad as well as other elite athletes.

They both train and teach at Jimmy Kim Taekondo in Southern California. Jimmy Kim won the first Olympic Gold Medal in Taekwondo. One of the students Ibrahim & Muhammad train is competing in the Olympics in Bejing 2008; several JKT students also are on the US National Team, and will be at world's in December. They really enjoy this level of competitive training.

They have done many forms of martial arts over the years, with extensive training in Hapkido, and swords, escrima, etc.

I will be in Orlando next weekend (July 12) competing in the World Tang Soo Do Championships. There will be over 1700 competitors from all age groups. I'll be in the old man's bracket, 35-49.
At least there is still a bracket left for you to "fit" in. :rolleyes:

please, pictures!
I have video of Muhammad doing his forms, and Ibrahim doing breaking demonstrations of concrete patio blocks. I'll see if they will let me put them up. They both like to keep a low profile here on TBN.

All the best,

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition
Bird said:
Congratulations, Muhammad! And congratulations to his parents, too. I think they raised and taught a couple of fine young men.
Bird, thank you. I am almost to the point of feeling obligated to nominate you as their "grand uncle", or something. You've known them almost as long as I have. :) And many days, they spend more time with you here on TBN, than with me! Your example has been truly inspirational to them.

When we consider all of the wayward activities that abound for kids these days, we truly appreciate that TBN & martial arts endeavors are the focus of their lives. We owe a LOT of gratitutde for their participation here on TBN. It has been a terrific guidance in all our lives. Thanks to all of you.

Hakim

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #10  
I had videos of Jimmy Kim in that first Olympics for TKD. He is one of the top martial artists in the world. To train under him is an honor. 16 years of training should make them about masters? I'm not sure about Tae Kwon Do, but my Tang Soo Do is also a Korean art with very close roots to Tae Kwon Do and it is about 13 years to master. I know that Jimmy Kim must be very proud of his students, and to receive praise from the likes of him is a very high honor. Maybe Muhammad can give me some pointers for next week? :)