Moving week

/ Moving week #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
Been talking about it for years and making preps ....and now the time has come. We're moving to the country! Currently all we have to live in is one room finished off in the barn (400sqft) but we want the grandson to finish the school year there so he has a chance to meet friends for the summer. The house in town is still for sale and we won't be building anything until it sells. Don't have any internet connection out there yet -- it will have to be satellite of some type......but if anyone really needs to reach me -- txdon knows where I live. Hopefully will be back online in a couple of weeks - this connection will be gone shortly after Friday.

/ Moving week #3  
Mike,

Congratulations on the move, and all the best of luck!!!!!!!!!

400 sq ft is about what I had in the barn when I first moved out here. It's cozy, but with the weather being nice, you can spend all day outside having fun.

For the internet, I was on satelitte for a few years and hated it. I can go on and on about all the problems I had with it, from weather to faulty equipment and lousy costomer service. I really don't have anything good to say about it.

Then I tried out cellular service. This is with Alltel. It's about the size of a lighter with an antenna on it. You just plug it into the USB port and you're online. It's fast, reliable and easy. Best of all, if it stops working, you can just go to the store and get another one. You don't have to wait for the latest company to show up, tell you what's wrong, but that he's all out of those because half of the new ones they just got didn't work. Hope to have new parts in a week or two, sorry, they'll get back to you.

Eddie

/ Moving week #4  
Best of all to you Mike. :D

We may be in the same type of situation in the near future.

/ Moving week #5  
That's great news,and may you be turning the front door key before end of the year. :)

/ Moving week #6  
Mike you and the family have my best wishes and Envy as well. LOL! I'm hopeing to do the same thing and building a Garage with a small living space seems to be a choice me and the wife are contenplating as well. We'll decide after finalizing the home plans and recieving the cost estimates in just a few weeks. We do plan to turn the Key before 31 Dec 09 God Willing.

My Hat's off 2 U

/ Moving week #7  
Woohoo! Mike is heading to beautiful Bastrop. Way to go Dude!:)

What Eddie said about the internet. If you have cellular service, you can get broadband service for about $65 a month or less. That sounds like alot, but that USB modem can be plugged into a desktop or laptop. You can get online while driving down the road. We have Verizon service, but you can also get it from AT&T or Alltel, as Eddie suggested, if they are in your area. Recently, when we were on a trip to East Texas, the motel's wireless network was quirky, so I just plugged in the modem and used my own service instead. It really gives you alot of freedom.

You owe me a tour of your place. I just might have to cool down a 12-pack of Shiners and head down your way. You could help me finish them off, couldn't you?;)

/ Moving week #8  
congratulations, enjoy it.

Im doing a similar thing. Our house just sold and we have less than 5 wks to move 1300km.

The apx 400 sqft in our barn leaks bad, and if I suggested living there I would get smacked (wife saw snakes in the post pile last year.

So we are hoping to build a small cabin (max 500sqft) and use it as a guest house if we ever outgrow it. Like said above, if you spend all your time outside it will be easier to live with the small space.
We never relized it until now but weve been practicing over the last 8 years, by living in 1 bdrm apartments :)

/ Moving week
Thanks for all the comments....It's Friday and I'm back in town to pick up the family and take them to the country for good at noon tomorrow. We'll be putting Trevor in school on Monday ....err I'LL be putting Trevor in school Monday. Bernice just learned Wed that she landed a state job downtown Austin and she starts work on Monday. She's worked for title companies for years -- now she's going to work for the Texas Dept of Insurance in the title branch. They are the regulatory agency for title companies. ....all insurance actually --but she'll just be dealing with title insurance. Talked to my realtor yesterday and she thinks she has a cash buyer for the house -- will be showing it Sunday afternoon. Now we decided to move before the house sold so Trevor could make new friends before summer started ....then Bernice gets a job in Austin ....then the realtor says she has a hot prospect..... Sometimes I think HE just taps me on the shoulder with stuff like this to say "I'm right here and watching". I'll be off the internet now for awhile....I don't think I can get cell service there ---I'm going to try --but I believe we'll end up with satellite as the only option. I can get voice cell service if I stand outside the metal barn -- but it won't connect for email on my iphone. LIFE CHANGES! exciting stuff.

/ Moving week #10  
Mike, the weather guy, the day you move to our area is the day the year-long drought ends it is raining a little slower now so my satellite internet is up again. We have had 6" the last two days and the ponds are filling. Good bye city life, welcome to the good life! (Come by if you need the net.)