How much to donate at a Cancer benefit?

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #1  

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
I don't have a lot of experience with this subject. The son of a very good friend of mine has lung cancer, no insurance and some bills to pay. They are having a benefit for him at the local Elks club. Me and the GF are going. We have no idea what amount to give. Its a meal and maybe some entertainment. I'm sure not a skinflint, but I want to be reasonable, generous, and not appear too ungracious. How much would be appropriate (per person)?

Thanks folks. Life is coming down this road to me and I need some direction.

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #2  
My Wife and I go to a local Childrens Hospital dinner every year. Tickets are about $75 a person. We normally spend at least $100 on raffle tickets and auction items. The year after our daughter was treated at the hospital I spent $1200 on a pair of ear rings which is several times what I would normally spend.

I suggest making a donation that does not make you financially uncomfortable but will be meaningful to your friend. I cant imagine anything worse than having a sick child.

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #3  
My Dad, Mother and Sister have died from cancer so I know what you are thinking about the donations. I think for most people they wish to give all they can. We asked that instead of flowers that all gifts be made out to the American Cancer Society, not sure if all of it is used for the actual research but it is still our best bet and place to give.

I think in your heart you'll know what you can afford, some people can afford $10.00 and some $10,000.00 and it will affect their finances the same way. Give what you can without putting any stress on yourselves and it does not matter if someone thinks you did not give enough. Just your caring enough to wish to help and giving what you can is more than enough. Being there for the family for things they may need is more personal and going to who you wish it to. Work around the house, helping to watch other children when hospital trips are necessary, helping with an auto repair if they are running short of funds and anything else that you can do will benefit them directly and will be very much appreciated. In the end... it's what is in your heart and the real meaning you are offering the help is what it is all about.

Topstrap

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #4  
I'd say the ammount you should give would only be accuratley calculated as a percentage of what you COULD give vs. the percentage of what the average person gives compared to what they COULD give......Make sence?
The good book has an interesting description of giving. All I can say is Who gave more the rich man or the poor woman?

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #5  
I think in your heart you'll know what you can afford, In the end... it's what is in your heart and the real meaning you are offering the help is what it is all about.

Topstrap

Exactly. Perfectly said.

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #6  
An old saying comes to mind "every little bit helps!" give what you feel is right.

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #7  
Give what you can but if possible, if you can, give more or you could:

A/ Anonymously pay at source some of his bills
B/ Anonymously pay at source some of his future bills
C/ All of the above plus spend some time with him
D/ Set up an anonymous fund for him... pay a little each month and encourage others

By the mer act of giving you are not ungracious. You can only do what you can do.

You are kind... he will be thankful.

Lloyd

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #8  
Not trying to go off-topic here, but ..... Ain't it grand that the word "tractor" has not been used once in this thread, but the OP felt a kinship here to ask a very serious question? :) And ain't it grand that he's received several practical suggestions to his non-tractor question? :)

I'm always amazed at the variety of topics that are discussed here. It's indeed a kinship for which I'm thankful. :):):)

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #9  
Not trying to go off-topic here, but ..... Ain't it grand that the word "tractor" has not been used once in this thread, but the OP felt a kinship here to ask a very serious question? :) And ain't it grand that he's received several practical suggestions to his non-tractor question? :)

I'm always amazed at the variety of topics that are discussed here. It's indeed a kinship for which I'm thankful. :):):)

In the words of Tiny Tim "God Bless us, every one."

/ How much to donate at a Cancer benefit? #10  
Regarding "all" of us on TBN,... (if you like),.... go back to the index of "this" Thread and slide down a few lines to MIKIM's :~~"Merry Christmas To All My TBN Friends"~~(2nd page) to a post I wrote relative the people of TBN-World. Its way down page 2. ....Sorry to have hi-jacked both posts but I think you'll find it relevant this topic? BTW,....Happy New Year to all !

CHEERS!
. . tug

Last edited: