A Young Marine's Funeral

/ A Young Marine's Funeral
I talked to the Honor Guard who officiated at my brother in law's service in OKC. They said it's a full time job because vets of all the wars die every day. Those three National Guardsmen were doing three services that day alone. Most of the funerals involve Nam vets.

I believe the DFW National Cemetery alone averages 13 funerals a day! We've been there for 4 funerals ourselves.

/ A Young Marine's Funeral #22  
I was scanning the Wise County Messenger website and came across this article about Sgt. Walters. I thought I'd add it to this thread to give the family's side and more description of the kind of person he was.

/ A Young Marine's Funeral #23  
I was scanning the Wise County Messenger website and came across this article about Sgt. Walters. I thought I'd add it to this thread to give the family's side and more description of the kind of person he was.

wow-- Thanks for sharing that!!!

J

/ A Young Marine's Funeral #24  

It is when you read these articles that you realise the full human costs behind the headlines.

As I type, the BBC are showing the repatriation of another seven servicemen and the coffins being transferred from a C17 to hearses. Again the pictures and family statements show the human side of events.

J

/ A Young Marine's Funeral
Very good, Jim. Thank you.

/ A Young Marine's Funeral #26  
That was a well written story.

/ A Young Marine's Funeral #27  
It is painful to watch videos like this but it is nice to see the respect being paid.

A coworker lost a brother a few months back in Kandahar. From what I have been able to find out it seems like he should get a MoH or at least a DSC. I have not been able to get a full report on the action but his CO said he grabbed a suicide bomber to keep the bomber from taking out his squad.

A part of my family used to have a house which backed up to a large cemetary. Vietnam was being fought at that time and funerals were held every day. We would hear the rifle salutes even in the house and they always made us jump. Sometimes we would hear a couple salutes in a day. Never got used to them. We were little kids but we knew what those salutes represented. We would sneak over at the end of the day to pick up the 30-06 brass. I know I still have some packed away in a box.

A friend of mine died of cancer a few months back. It was a surprise even though he was terminal. He was in great shape. The best shape he had ever been in since he had been riding bike patrol for the PD for the last couple of years. And I ain't talking motorcycles. :D The cancer popped out of nowhere and had a fatal diagnosis. The only question was WHEN. Everyone thought he would make it at least until the fall of this year and hopefully in to next year. But he did not.

His family held up well during the ceremony. But then over 100 officers and firefighters stood at attention and the flag was handed to the family. The finality of the folded flag was more than they could bare. Harvey was in his 60's but his mother was still alive. She had to use a walker so she could only move so fast. Watching her slowly make her way through a long corridor of saluting officers and firefighters was excruciating. I really do not know how she held up to the emotions of the service. I hope the large number of officers and firefighters saluting her and her family gave her strength but I will be danged if I know how she held up to burying her only son.

Godspeed Harvey.

Later,
Dan