Grandson

/ Grandson #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Some of you may remember that I took my 12 year old grandson in last October, he came from the city and absolutly new nothing about a farm and ranch ... if you recall one of our first projects was to split open a Long tractor.

Anyway, the wife and I have now gotten legal Guardianship of him and I am happy to report he is doing very well.

Some things to note, he has his own hogs and loves the money he gets from selling those. He has progressed to checking the oil before any tractor, lawn mower, pressure washer or piece of equipment is cranked ... he has daily chores that we no longer have to remind him to do.

He has his own hay cutter and really enjoys it when he and I hit the hayfield, he does all the raking, I do the baling and he stacks the round bales in the field ... he has learned to drive the roads from hay field to hay field and really thinks he's a man when he follows with the Dodge Ram Dually.

There is so much more I could talk about ... his grades have come up and he's back in school with a new attitude. He has joined ag and made the baseball team AND he has put on about 20 lbs and devolping some muscle. Last night after dinner he said Grandpa .... Life is good!!

/ Grandson #2  
Grand kids are the the biggest joy in life.:DDave

/ Grandson #3  
that is a great story. It is all about having responsibility for self, family and community. Good guidance Grandpa and Grandma!

/ Grandson #4  
I am sure happy for you and the Grandson. I wish more kids had that type exposure to responsibility, respect and guidance. Ken Sweet

/ Grandson #5  
Awesome! Nothing like farm life to straighten out kids.:thumbsup:

/ Grandson #6  
One of my coworker's favorite sayings "If I'd known grandchildern were so much fun I'd have had them first!" MikeD74T

/ Grandson #7  
Congratulations to him and to you and your wife.

/ Grandson
Thanks guys ... I recall how important my Grand Dad was to me ... Its challenging to try and remain patient.

I really get a kick out of one of his statements ... Grandpa we sure have done a lot together... and ya know for a boy who simply never did anything I can see how he thinks that way.

/ Grandson #9  
I think "Grandpa... Life is good," translates to "I'm lucky to have a great Grandpa."

My grandson loves to come spend time with me because I let him drive my tractor, the mowers, and do pretty much any job after a brief description and demonstration. He doesn't get that kind of opportunity in town. Too often, parents are overprotective and don't let kids learn. Kids are products of what we teach them. If we never let them make mistakes on their own and learn by doing, they often are handicapped to a life of inability. But I'm "preachin' to the choir." You obviously know and do all of that.

/ Grandson
I think "Grandpa... Life is good," translates to "I'm lucky to have a great Grandpa."

My grandson loves to come spend time with me because I let him drive my tractor, the mowers, and do pretty much any job after a brief description and demonstration. He doesn't get that kind of opportunity in town. Too often, parents are overprotective and don't let kids learn. Kids are products of what we teach them. If we never let them make mistakes on their own and learn by doing, they often are handicapped to a life of inability. But I'm "preachin' to the choir." You obviously know and do all of that.

I agree ... one of my favorite sayings to him is ... Go ahead how else are you supposed to learn!