New house starting

/ New house starting #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
From the time I was in high school (too many years ago to count) I have drawn floor plans of houses I'd like to build / live in. Well - it took awhile - but I'm finally making it happen in retirement. I drew it up on my old drafting table / T-square, had it done up in CAD, made the rounds getting bids, and we are nearly weather tight. They broke ground on Oct 19. According to my builder it's the most custom house he's ever done. It's on piers and beams making a crawl space - he's always done slabs - it will have a standing seam metal roof - new for him - and of course it is my design with a few special things to make my life easier when I'm 80+. The interior hall is 4' wide, bathrooms are handicapped ready, some 3' interior doors, there's a ramp from back porch to carport, water lines are under the floor and home run to a maniblock in the laundry room, there's a whole house genset and a wood stove - both of which he's never done ----BUT he's doing a great job. He listens to what I want and catches the things that are needed for code -- We're having a lot of fun doing this. We went over our initial budget - mostly due to our ground conditions -- structural engineer laid on requirements that stopped us in our tracks for a few days until we decided to go ahead and bite that bullet. We reasoned that we plan on being here for 20+ years -- we may as well spend what's needed to get what we want. Busy now picking out colors (wife's part) for paint & stone & tile -- this may be the hardest part -- :confused2: --luv ya dear--:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 11-10-10 026 (600 x 450).jpg
    11-10-10 026 (600 x 450).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 11-10-10 028 (600 x 450).jpg
    11-10-10 028 (600 x 450).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 11-10-10 032 (600 x 450).jpg
    11-10-10 032 (600 x 450).jpg
    125 KB · Views: 307
   / New house starting #3  
You've been awful busy for a place called Lazy A-$-$ Ranch.:laughing::thumbsup:

/ New house starting #4  
Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your progress. How big is it and what all does it have for rooms? Why did you go with a car port, or is that a porch with a big ramp? Why did you want a pier and beam foundation? I've had both and really prefer the slab, so I'm curious why you went with the crawl space?

I love the look of it and you have the perfect setting. It looks like a beautiful design with a very appealing approach.

Eddie

/ New house starting #5  
why a pier & beam for a foundation crawl space? it looks like things can get under the house.i do like a crawl better than a slab and a full basement even better but its done and it look real nice.good luck

/ New house starting
why crawl space --- I don't like waterlines in my attic nor in a slab. If / when they break in those locations you got big T trouble. Can't have a full basement around here -- soil won't allow it. Full basement = indoor swimming pool. Also - with these soils if/when the foundation moves ...fix is easy in a crawl space. Sq ft is 2080 + 600+ ft of porches. Drive through carport is primarily for convenience - never have to backup. That should help in old age. Ramp on back porch also for old age. It is a 3bdrm, 2bath, with the Mbath being handicap accessible. Vaulted ceiling great room(LR, dining, kit) as soon as you walk in front door.
Ron -- pm me your idea of the best RV hookup conditions. ie: what elect outlets etc. I've never owned an RV but have 2 places where I should be able to make a good drivethru setup -- one with septic. Look forward to your visit.

/ New house starting
You've been awful busy for a place called Lazy A-$-$ Ranch.:laughing::thumbsup:
can't begin to keep up with you and won't even try.:ashamed:

/ New house starting #8  
Mike AND Bernice, we're happy for you. Now that looks like fun.....

And we love it,

/ New house starting #9  
why crawl space --- I don't like waterlines in my attic nor in a slab. If / when they break in those locations you got big T trouble. Can't have a full basement around here -- soil won't allow it. Full basement = indoor swimming pool. Also - with these soils if/when the foundation moves ...fix is easy in a crawl space. Sq ft is 2080 + 600+ ft of porches. Drive through carport is primarily for convenience - never have to backup. That should help in old age. Ramp on back porch also for old age. It is a 3bdrm, 2bath, with the Mbath being handicap accessible. Vaulted ceiling great room(LR, dining, kit) as soon as you walk in front door.
Ron -- pm me your idea of the best RV hookup conditions. ie: what elect outlets etc. I've never owned an RV but have 2 places where I should be able to make a good drivethru setup -- one with septic. Look forward to your visit.

I can't argue with your logic. I really like the extra steps you've taken for handicap access and planning ahead for those years when you wont be able to get around very well. I've done quit a few ADA bathroom remodels for clients to make it easier for them to get around. Bigger doorways and replacing bathtubs with showers that don't have a ledge to step over. I didn't think about the carport being a drive through. That's a pretty clever idea!!!! I was thinking it would double as an entertainment area. Will it have ceiling fans? :)

Eddie

/ New house starting #10  
My hookups are 50 amp, water and sewer. But can survive on 20 amp for 5 days. Holding tanks fill up faster than I like. If it gets too hot when on 20 amp I just start up generator and turn on AC.