Loss of a Teenager

/ Loss of a Teenager #1  

CBW1999

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D
Please pray, for everyone involved in a horrible tragedy yesterday in Vermont.

A 15 year old boy committed suicide while at School yesterday morning. Apparently it was a self inflicted gunshot wound, he was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. I haven't read the article further because it has upset me so much. It has been published in the Burlington Free Press (VT).

I cannot imagine what the family is going through. The students, faculty and staff....the responders. Everyone involved has my prayers for healing and that God will be brought into the lives of some that don't know him yet. I also pray that believers will not turn away from God because of this.

As sad as this tragedy is, I am thankful that this poor young man's decision did not include taking any other lives before his own.

/ Loss of a Teenager #2  
My sincere condolences to the family and friends of the young man in Vermont. At the age of 14, my Son could no longer handle the issues life dumped on him and ended his life with an overdose of his medication. You can not imagine what a tragedy this is. As a single parent I hunted, fished and rode trail machines with my Son, we shared everything. My Lady told me my Son's last act of love for me was not using one of the many firearms available in our home but rather chose to simply go to sleep. You never get over the pain but time teaches you to live around it. Now, 21 years later, as I think of my Son I recall the thrill of his first buck, first turkey, his fishing and catching a big striper in a snow storm, the many fishing trips to New York for salmon and Thousand Islands for bass. The good time memories seem to dull the sharp edge of the loss. I hope the family and friends of this young man can bring themselves to understand he did what he thought was a solution to his problem. I can only suggest to them that time will prove to be a friend, it will dull the pain and permit them to dwell on the good times they shared. Love your children, teach them as well as you can and enjoy every moment you share with them, it is very precious.

/ Loss of a Teenager #3  
My sincere condolences to the family and friends of the young man in Vermont. At the age of 14, my Son could no longer handle the issues life dumped on him and ended his life with an overdose of his medication. You can not imagine what a tragedy this is. As a single parent I hunted, fished and rode trail machines with my Son, we shared everything. My Lady told me my Son's last act of love for me was not using one of the many firearms available in our home but rather chose to simply go to sleep. You never get over the pain but time teaches you to live around it. Now, 21 years later, as I think of my Son I recall the thrill of his first buck, first turkey, his fishing and catching a big striper in a snow storm, the many fishing trips to New York for salmon and Thousand Islands for bass. The good time memories seem to dull the sharp edge of the loss. I hope the family and friends of this young man can bring themselves to understand he did what he thought was a solution to his problem. I can only suggest to them that time will prove to be a friend, it will dull the pain and permit them to dwell on the good times they shared. Love your children, teach them as well as you can and enjoy every moment you share with them, it is very precious.

Very well written, sorry for your loss, as I can see it still hurts. Some of the worst fears of a parent.. God bless.Jy.

/ Loss of a Teenager #4  
WOW how sad. Our children today has so many pressures on them. Keeping this entire family and situation in my prayers.

Julie

/ Loss of a Teenager
Adjusterr- I have several friends who have lost their children through illness, injury and suicide. Each time I hear of someones loss, it makes me appreciate the gift God gave to me as my children. I cannot imagine........

In my career, I responded to a number of suicides. I remember each one, not for the person who died, but for the anguish I witnessed the survivors suffering. Each time I hear of something like this, my heart sinks.

/ Loss of a Teenager #7  
Very, very sad,
I didn't see anything on the national news, even though it involved a gun in school.
I guess it's because no one else was threatened or injured, with suicide of kids I think they really try and keep it quiet so that other kids don't try and copy it, which often does happen.

I sometimes see in the obits that a young teen died with no explanation like accident or illness, then through the grapevine you hear rumors that the kid hung himself or something like that.

JB.

/ Loss of a Teenager #8  
My daughter went through a bout of depression when she was 16 and we worried she was not going to pull through it . I now have both kids in thier
20's and she is finishing her forth year of college. I thank God every day for them. I am praying for this family that they may find some peace in their storm.

/ Loss of a Teenager #9  
Talk to your kids,... try to close the gap between you. Keep a dialogue going as often as possible. Even though they may "seem" ok,.. it's difficult to know just what sort of a load they may be carrying.

So much going on in their lives today,.. too much homework perhaps,.. getting behind in school, and unsure just how to catch up, ... some sort of peer pressure or other hidden pressure,.. perhaps the pressure of a bully? No kid wants to talk about things they feel they personally "should" be able to handle,... but secretly,..just can't!!

Pressures build, ..and build, ..and keep on BUILDING till there ~"seems"~ to be only one way out, . . . and remember, at that point,.. this is heavy duty stress,.. big time STRESS does NOT allow rational thinking!! At that point, the first thought, often a bad one, seems the only correct one!! If only "someone" could step in?

Often,... it only takes a few simple questions, . . to let the kid "know" that s/he is not "alone" after all. Sometimes just a little coaxing will start them on the oh so needed spilling of just a few words at a time, (to test the waters).. ..then as they realize someone actually CARES,.. a sense of relief creeps in, it feels good,.. such relief!! then comes the uncontrollable spewing of words so necessary for what could perhaps be the saving of a life, . . or even the consideration of taking it ?

If you manage to get them this far,... take a well deserved pat on the back and follow it up with some professional help. There is lots out there.

Even if your kid(s) "seem" okay, . . it never hurts to take a good long, deep look at them,... talk to them,..ask them,.... might be your last opportunity? ..Yes its often difficult to begin a dialogue,.. but per chance you've happened upon such a situation and can manage a slight detour, . . your "efforts"will be oh so worth it, as opposed to living out life thinking, "If only I'd tried?"

Good luck and God Bless !!
. . tug

PS : ...with all the controversy today, I thought twice before adding it,..
I speak from late-in-life experience but: ..if kids could only realize the absolute value of prayer,..of simply "asking Jesus for assistance",..then accepting the idea that he "will" answer..AND, the answer may NOT be exactly as you "expected",.. but it will be "His will",..and that will be the right answer. ..... SO difficult to explain,..but it SURE works for me, Amen!!

PPS : .. no I'm NOT a Bible Thumper, but if you need instruction on the matter,..try reading Matthew 6, . . . . . ... . .(to delete or not? . . not!)

Last edited:
   / Loss of a Teenager #10  
Yep... too much peer pressure, friends have the latest I-Phone, I don't. Josh gets 300 channls on TV, we get only 50. My laptop is already a month old. Latest generation of me, me, me. My parents probably said the same thing. It does happen to the best of families, about a year ago, my 20 year old nephew took his life too, don't know how and don't care. My, then 21 year old son (good friends with his cousin) put it best, he's dead now and will miss out on the greatness of living.

mark