Ran over my dog today

/ Ran over my dog today #11  
Deere755.
I am so sorry for you and your loss. !
You did do the right thing.
We had to put our 175# Great Dane down the 18th at Thanksgiving. It was so hard to be thankful. Our hearts still ache and we miss him so much. We did adopt another dane, and bought another fawn dane puppy, and we still have our mastiff(all inside with us)

Wishing you the very best.

/ Ran over my dog today #12  
I had a simular situation, and shot a dog a car had hit on the highway my 6 yr old son saw me do it. I tried to explain and he said dad I know you just shot the pain away.

/ Ran over my dog today #13  
I had a simular situation, and shot a dog a car had hit on the highway my 6 yr old son saw me do it. I tried to explain and he said dad I know you just shot the pain away.

I'm occasionally surprised by how some kids can come out with something like that. Wise beyond their years, as the saying goes.

/ Ran over my dog today #14  
Yes, you did the right thing... I've had to euthanize numerous pets that were unavoidably and irreparably injured...hurts to put a friend down, but it is the right thing to remove the suffering as quickly as possible. Each was done with a .22 and sometimes more than one was required. :mad:

/ Ran over my dog today #15  
You absolutely did the right thing... it is so very hard, but it's also the most loving thing you could do in that situation.

/ Ran over my dog today #16  
Pardner, I can understand more than you know! I posted a link to a similar situation I had last year after doing the same thing. I didn't put our dog down and she had to suffer the 17 miles to the vets office only to have him put her down. As hard as it may have been I should have done what you did. Like others have said he was probably is shock anyway and was numb to the situation. We also have a Cocker Spaniel who is 16 yrs old and in the same situation. He's deaf in both ears and blind in one eye. He still gets around but we're thinking this might be the year we have to deal with him.

My condolences and don't second guess yourself. You did what you thought to be the best for the circumstances.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ents-notices/166451-wish-i-could-have-do.html

/ Ran over my dog today #17  
Thanks for all the replies. I doubt we get another dog anytime soon as we adopted my golden retriever form the pound a couple of years ago and this past spring we found out he had pups down the road and my wife brought one home against my will. I told her 2 dogs was plenty but she told me that Puffy our Cocker was getting old and it was just a matter of time before he was gone and we would be back to 2. I agreed and so we kept the pup. I just hate the way he had to die. I was hoping he would just go to sleep and not wake up but I guess that is the way we would all like to go. Last summer he ran under the bush hog with it running but luckily it was high enough he didn't even get a scratch. He has had a lot of close calls in the past few months. My son took it pretty well when I told him about it. I am going to see if I can chip away at the frozen ground to get him buried with a pick axe. I tried with a spade today and had no luck at all. I may even see if the vet can dispose of him for us. Not sure what to do there either.

Bless you for your caring, and you did the right thing. I am so sorry for you and the loss you suffered. The hardest thing about losing a pet to me, and we have lost many, incliuding one to a hit-and run, is that our pets love us unconditionally for what we are, warts and all. They don't make unreasonable demands or undue expectations...if only the people in our lives would be so easy to live with. Again, I am sincerely sorry.

/ Ran over my dog today #18  
When my son was 3 (he is 17 now) a stray cocker spanial showed up at our house. I didn't want to keep him because we all ready had a dog but my son just fell in love with him and his mom had just left us so I thought it would be good for him. We have now had him for 14 years and he is almost blind and hard of hearing. Today as I was pulling in the driveway he ran out to greet me like always but before I could get stopped I ran over him.I felt the truck run over him and heard him yelp. He managed to crawl across the road but didn't die. I knew from the injuries he would not live to get him to the vet which is about 14 miles away. I ran over his head and he couldn't see because his eyes had popped out of their sockets but he was trying to get to me. I went and got the 22 pistol and shot him point blank behind the ear and he was still trying to get up so I shot him again and he was still trying to get up. The gun jammed before I could fire a 3rd round and finally he passed away. I feel really bad but I didn't know what else to do. I just knew I didn't want him to suffer anymore. I figured the vet would just put him down if he was still alive when we got there and that would have been that much longer he would have had to suffer. I am glad my son was gone and didn't have to see it. Did I do the right thing?

Tough as it was, you did the right thing.
And sometimes the brain is so small, getting the 22 bullet the right place is not easy and is not easy to see happen. Been there with other small animals in my traps.
Sorry to hear you had to go through this. Not pleasant at all.

/ Ran over my dog today #19  
Tough as it was, you did the right thing.
And sometimes the brain is so small, getting the 22 bullet the right place is not easy and is not easy to see happen. Been there with other small animals in my traps.
Sorry to hear you had to go through this. Not pleasant at all.

I'm going to hijack this thread a bit (sorry deere755) to expand a little on beenthere's observation. When the time comes, if you are going to use a gun to send your faithful companion on their way to the Rainbow Bridge, please, for their sake, study up a bit on their anatomy so you can give them as quick and painless send off as is possible.

Last edited:
   / Ran over my dog today #20  
Yes, as hard as it was, Yes you did the right thing. I am sorry for your loss.
When the time is right, in his honor, rescue another.

James K0UA

Well said, and like he said rescue another. God bless.