Ran over my dog today

/ Ran over my dog today #21  
Absolutely you did the right thing, I would have done the same..altho I would've had a tough time aiming. If it helps..he was probably so far into shock that he barely felt anything that happened after the initial event.

/ Ran over my dog today #22  
I'm going to hijack this thread a bit (sorry deere755) to expand a little on beenthere's observation. When the time comes, if you are going to use a gun to send your faithful companion on their way to the Rainbow Bridge, please, for their sake, study up a bit on their anatomy so you can give them as quick and painless send off as is possible.

And Use a caliber that s up to the task. A 22 is for plinking , not euthanasia. I know about the mafia,but they assasinate , they don't euthanise.

/ Ran over my dog today #23  
I was afraid to read this thread at first. But, I'm glad I did if anything so I can offer you support and condolences. You did the right thing, hard as it must have been.

/ Ran over my dog today
I didn't want to have to shoot him several times but my gun selection was limited to a .22 pistol, a 12 guage shot gun, and a .22 rifle. I figured the shot gun would be messy and the rifle wasn't a good choice with all the houses around. I was forced to shoot one other dog in my life time and I used the same .22 pistol and one shot behind the ear and it was all over with. I swore then that I would never shoot another dog but I felt I had no other choice either time. Also I might add the last dog was much bigger then this one. The only difference was this dog had just suffered major trauma.

/ Ran over my dog today
Well I got my dog buried today. The ground was still frozen so I used a forced air heater and set the back of it on blocks so it would point towards the ground. I just had to pick away at it as the ground thawed. It took about 3 hours to get it dug and about 5 minutes to fill it in. He is on our hill side where he liked to lay. Another dog we had for 16 years is buried pretty close to him. They spent a lot of time together so I thought it would be good to put them together now. My wife thought we should just wait a little longer for it to thaw out but I felt I owed it to him to get it done. Its been a week now.

/ Ran over my dog today #27  
I am going to see if I can chip away at the frozen ground to get him buried with a pick axe. I tried with a spade today and had no luck at all. I may even see if the vet can dispose of him for us. Not sure what to do there either.[/QUOTE]

I buried our pony Apache during the winter by covering him with a canvas tarp and hay bales, and horse manure from the barn and more hay. (Vet suggested it.) Nothing disturbed it over the year and it flattened over the next year. Now wild flowers are growing on his grave, -beside my old morgan Tiger who had passed away during the summer a year earlier (used backhoe then).

/ Ran over my dog today #28  
I know it was hard, but you did what had to be done. You gave a stray a good home for a lot of years; and the end was tragic but that couldn't be helped. My brother-in-law had the same thing happen to his old cocker too; he ran over the old tired dog too.
Prayers to you.

/ Ran over my dog today #30  
it is ugly, been there done that.

dad, had to put one cow down due to some major problems. young kid i was there.
dad, also had to put a calf that was just born down as well. due to gentical birth defects

been there with a 15 year old dog a few years back as vet put her down.

hit dear on the road. all but one leg completely broken and belly torn up. i waited for a cop to show up. to put the deer out of its misery. if i had a gun i would of done it myself.

have had goldfish live 14 plus years and had to put some of them down over the years. by no means is it easy. but suffering vs being quick. rather it be quick. and if i was in same situation i would want it the same way, quick.

by no means is it easy thing to handle, but it is the right thing.

==============
for others.

being on a farm. and livestock. i know there are companies that come out to pickup up dead animals.

if ya digging a grave, if ya can get past first few inches, it should be easier to dig after that. the ground shouldn't be as hard from being frozen.

if you live out in the country were there coons, coyotes and like. you will most likely want to dig a few feet deep. and put some rocks or something over it to keep the critters from digging your dog out. been there done that. :(

also you could get some firewood. and get a good fire going, with some nice coals were grave site will be. and let the red coals burn for a couple hours, then before things cool down to much. pull things over to the side to start digging.