Ran over my dog today

/ Ran over my dog today #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
When my son was 3 (he is 17 now) a stray cocker spanial showed up at our house. I didn't want to keep him because we all ready had a dog but my son just fell in love with him and his mom had just left us so I thought it would be good for him. We have now had him for 14 years and he is almost blind and hard of hearing. Today as I was pulling in the driveway he ran out to greet me like always but before I could get stopped I ran over him.I felt the truck run over him and heard him yelp. He managed to crawl across the road but didn't die. I knew from the injuries he would not live to get him to the vet which is about 14 miles away. I ran over his head and he couldn't see because his eyes had popped out of their sockets but he was trying to get to me. I went and got the 22 pistol and shot him point blank behind the ear and he was still trying to get up so I shot him again and he was still trying to get up. The gun jammed before I could fire a 3rd round and finally he passed away. I feel really bad but I didn't know what else to do. I just knew I didn't want him to suffer anymore. I figured the vet would just put him down if he was still alive when we got there and that would have been that much longer he would have had to suffer. I am glad my son was gone and didn't have to see it. Did I do the right thing?

/ Ran over my dog today #2  
Yes, as hard as it was, Yes you did the right thing. I am sorry for your loss.
When the time is right, in his honor, rescue another.

James K0UA

/ Ran over my dog today #3  
Man I feel for you. I had good loyal dog that I had to shoot for safety reasons and my first shot only wounded. I felt terrible. Just be grateful it was a dog and not one of your children that ended up under your truck.

/ Ran over my dog today #4  
A real heartbreaker. Just know it was probably more traumatic for you than it was for the pup........... A blessing of shock & what it does.

I suggest you go out as soon as possible to get another ....... it will heal your heart much..much faster.

/ Ran over my dog today #5  
You did the right thing. You would have felt just as bad driving him to the vet. It would have just taken longer.

I had to take my 16 yr old dog to the vet last spring to be put down. It was a terrribly long 20 minute ride. I felt horrible knowing that I wasn't bringing her back home with me. After so many years of having her along side of me, it was sad to know it was over.

/ Ran over my dog today #6  
You did the right thing. I know how it feels. I had to put down my sisters' (that meant my nieces' and nephews') dog when I was about 16 years old after it got hit by a train behind our houses. I loved that dog, and it was all the worse because my nieces and nephews didn't understand. My condolences to you.

/ Ran over my dog today #7  
My goodness, I couldn't imagine going through what you did. With that being said, I probably would have handled it the same way you did. In my experience in losing pets, getting another one helps ease the pain of the loss.

/ Ran over my dog today #8  
It may as well have been my own dog. That's how much it hit me to hear your loss, so sorry. I've come close to backing over my dog a couple of times with my tractor, and I know just how it scared the **** out of me . Like your dog mine is getting old too, and wants to be with me every minute I'm out side.
You did do the right thing in putting him down. We would all, I'm sure do the same thing if it was us, no matter how much it hurt.
Truth be known he probably never knew what happened, or felt anything due to shock. Sounds like he had a great life and couldn't have been loved more.

/ Ran over my dog today #9  
Yes, you definitely did the right thing. I'm so sorry for your loss. My Mickey (GSD) is getting up there in years and has really gone downhill these past few months. Every time I read of someone losing their companion for whatever reason, it reminds me that "That Day" is coming closer and closer and I always tear up.

/ Ran over my dog today
Thanks for all the replies. I doubt we get another dog anytime soon as we adopted my golden retriever form the pound a couple of years ago and this past spring we found out he had pups down the road and my wife brought one home against my will. I told her 2 dogs was plenty but she told me that Puffy our Cocker was getting old and it was just a matter of time before he was gone and we would be back to 2. I agreed and so we kept the pup. I just hate the way he had to die. I was hoping he would just go to sleep and not wake up but I guess that is the way we would all like to go. Last summer he ran under the bush hog with it running but luckily it was high enough he didn't even get a scratch. He has had a lot of close calls in the past few months. My son took it pretty well when I told him about it. I am going to see if I can chip away at the frozen ground to get him buried with a pick axe. I tried with a spade today and had no luck at all. I may even see if the vet can dispose of him for us. Not sure what to do there either.