Civic Organizations

/ Civic Organizations #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I am interested in joining a civic organization to volunteer in the community and get to know people. I have been wanting to for years, but I always had something going on that prevented me from joining. Nothing has changed and I am busier than ever, but if I don't join now I probably never will. I have checked out the Rotary Club, Kiwanis, and The Lions. They all seem like good clubs and I am wondering if anyone belongs to any of them? The dues are reasonable IMO for the Lions and Kiwanis and a little steep for Rotary. Any information on any of the clubs is greatly appreciated.

/ Civic Organizations #2  
I am not a member of any organization, but do appreciate the efforts and assistance the Elks give to Boy Scouts. My son's Boy Scout Troop is chartered and supported by the local Elks Lodge.

I have not joined, mostly because I keep busy as an adult leader in Scouts, and with volunteer firefighter activities.

/ Civic Organizations #3  
I am interested in joining a civic organization to volunteer in the community and get to know people. I have been wanting to for years, but I always had something going on that prevented me from joining. Nothing has changed and I am busier than ever, but if I don't join now I probably never will. I have checked out the Rotary Club, Kiwanis, and The Lions. They all seem like good clubs and I am wondering if anyone belongs to any of them? The dues are reasonable IMO for the Lions and Kiwanis and a little steep for Rotary. Any information on any of the clubs is greatly appreciated.

As a former member of Rotary, I highly recommend it. (Did not join local club after a move). The friendships made and volunteer opportunities were fantastic. I was able to work with people I never would have met otherwise, and did a tremendous amount of work to benefit the community. We also sponsored several international projects.

/ Civic Organizations #4  
4H has amazing programs to prepare kids for a responsible future. Don't think this is just for raising pigs and chickens. They have a wide range of activities for country, suburban and urban youth. They're public presentation training for kids is one of the most important educational programs around teaching children from 8 to 18 one of the most important skills they will ever use.

/ Civic Organizations #5  
My wife and I have volunteered for over 20 years with first a local 4-H club and then our local high school FFA. Our local FFA livestock show was last week and I took a weeks vacation to "volunteer". It has given us a way to give back to the local agriculture community.

We are also still very active in the Texas Young Farmers, an adult agricultural education non profit that also works very closely with the local HS FFA programs. I have served on the local, area and state boards and currently on a committee to bring the National Young Farmers Education Assn (NYFEA) to Texas in 2013. Each had different challenges but all were rewarding. It was a great opprotunity to present scholarships to Texas FFA students on the main stage of their state convention in 2009 and 2010 in front of 10,000 FFA members.

While I have not been involved in agriculture production in many years I greatly value the importance of agriculture in our country. If we do not get todays youth involved in agriculture then it too will become outsourced oversea's (more than it all ready is)

It is also very rewarding to see one of the students you mentored 10 years down the road teaching High School Agriculture. At least 5 or 6 that I remember have gone on to teach ag. Many more have gone into ag production including one now a supervisor for a major US egg producer in FL & GA.

/ Civic Organizations #7  
An active church offers lots of options.

/ Civic Organizations
I joined the Kiwanis. I went to a meeting and really enjoyed it. I will also be getting involved with the local 4-H in a couple of years. My oldest is 5 and I think she has to be 7 to join.

/ Civic Organizations #9  
I joined the Kiwanis. I went to a meeting and really enjoyed it. I will also be getting involved with the local 4-H in a couple of years. My oldest is 5 and I think she has to be 7 to join.

4-H is a great family orginization. We started out as just 4-H parents but very soon become a project leader. About 10 -15 years later we had each spent 2 years as assistant club manager then another 2 years as club manager. All our kids are grown now but we still help out every now and then.

/ Civic Organizations #10  
Although I do not belong to a civic organization I have to have First Responder training every two years because I am a supervisor. I have had a few of these training sessions with Red Cross. When I learned all that Red Cross did during national disasters I was thoroughly impressed. If I ever have time to donate Red Cross would be my first choice.