37 years ago today, 8 p.m.

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #11  
Congratulations! Hope you have many, many more together. Was 1974 really 37 YEARS AGO? (!) Sometimes when I hear or read something like your story and it mentions a specific year in time and how many years ago it was it stops me in my tracks for a second and I have to think about it. When I saw 1974 I instantly thought what's he talking about, that wasn't 37 yrs ago ( DUH)....man, time flies doesn't it.

Funny about the car. You're right, I wouldn't let my kids either but I guarantee my parents would have given me their blessing and sent me down the road with a reminder to park on high ground :thumbsup:

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #12  
If I'd had an old VW that was hard to start, we might have had a honeymoon.:laughing: I had an almost new 1964 Dodge Dart with car payments to make. We couldn't even afford to rent a place to live, much less go on a honeymoon. So before we got married we had arranged to be assistant managers of an apartment complex for the rent and utilities. And after the wedding, we went straight to that apartment. Our "honeymoon" got postponed for a few years.:laughing:

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #13  
Not quiet 37 years yet... but did have one car that I had to park on a hill. I married in the Philippines, nice to have inlaws almost 9000 miles away.

mark

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #14  
If I'd had an old VW that was hard to start, we might have had a honeymoon.:laughing: I had an almost new 1964 Dodge Dart with car payments to make. We couldn't even afford to rent a place to live, much less go on a honeymoon. So before we got married we had arranged to be assistant managers of an apartment complex for the rent and utilities. And after the wedding, we went straight to that apartment. Our "honeymoon" got postponed for a few years.:laughing:

I've only been married 8 years, but our honeymoon sounds exactly like yours!! Broke and in love...you look back and still can't figure out how you made ends meet.

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #15  
Congratulations on your anniversary, sounds like you have many fond memories. I also had a Volkswagon that had to have a push. Missing teeth on the flywheel.

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #16  
Not quiet 37 years yet... but did have one car that I had to park on a hill. I married in the Philippines, nice to have inlaws almost 9000 miles away.

mark

Mark, back when we got married, her parents were 1100 miles away, and I never met them until we'd been married about 15 months and already had a baby.:laughing: Her dad was a welder for the railroad, repairing damaged coal cars, so as a railroad employee, he and his wife could travel free by rail, so they came to see us the summer after we got married in April. When we couldn't afford to travel much and couldn't even afford long distance phone calls, they might as well have been 9000 miles away.:laughing:

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #17  
Congratulations.

1974 was a different time from the world we live in now.

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #18  
looking back, how in the world did our parents let us do that? There is no way I'd let either one of my children leave going on any trip in a vehicle like that.

Congrats! Nowadays, you have to have 2 cell phones, GPS, Laptop with air card, and a credit card or else you can't make it across the street. But the real truth be known, cars made in 1974 off the showroom floor weren't much better than your dead battery volkswagen.:D

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #19  
Congratulations! It'll be 45 years for my wife and me in August. I know it was different then, we got married right after I graduated from College, I had no job, we'd saved enough to pay 2 months rent in advance. Our furniture was some old stuff my parents had that I refinished the wood on and my wife made new covers for.

Most of her shower presents were baskets of groceries. We just didn't care.

By the way I got my first job offer the afternoon before we married.

/ 37 years ago today, 8 p.m. #20  
Congrats! Nowadays, you have to have 2 cell phones, GPS, Laptop with air card, and a credit card or else you can't make it across the street. But the real truth be known, cars made in 1974 off the showroom floor weren't much better than your dead battery volkswagen.:D

You are sure correct about the car quality in that era. I bought a new 73 Chevy1/2 ton and it used oil from the day I took it home until I sold it. The dealer kept saying the engine would break in and the rings would seat after I got more miles on it. Ken Sweet