Dogs and warm stoves

/ Dogs and warm stoves #11  
My big girl is just the opposite, she loves to lay in the "Cool". Here favorite spot in the summer is where the cooler blast hits her the hardest. Once in a while when we are outside she lays in the sun a little while. But soon finds a cool shady place.

Bobby girl and her puppy don't much care, sun or shade is fine with them. Even when its over 100, Bobby hunts (anything that will run from her. Lizards her favorite.). Puppy Brat (Her name ) not as big a hunter, she spends most of her time bugging mom or me if I'm out trying to work. When we both chase her off she just plops down most anywhere. They are the outside dogs.

Kirby is the inside dog all 150# of her. All 3 of them want to be close to me, all at the same time, Sun, Shade, Hot or Cold.

Pic #1 is Brat & Kirby #2 Kirby Grinning #3 Brats mother Bobby #4 Brat chewing on an old antler.

Attachments

• pup kirby 1.jpg
    pup kirby 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Kirby back.jpg
    Kirby back.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 94
  • bed theif 1.jpg
    bed theif 1.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 92
  • brat antler 1.jpg
    brat antler 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 86
   / Dogs and warm stoves #12  
Good post & pics. I wish I had pics of this tale, but none available. A friend of mine once had several Feist dogs in his house. On my first winter trip to his house we go down into his basement with woodstove. As we were sitting there "chewing the fat", I notice the smell of burning hair. I didn't say anything at first, but after a little while I asked what is burning? He says look under the woodstove - there sits one of his Feists' - "Blackie". This dog actually came out from under the stove with it's back smoking! He came out for a while and then went back. He said that was a very common sight during winter - as I came to find out over the years.

/ Dogs and warm stoves #13  
Our old Lab Coopers had a number of joint and muscle problems. In the winter he would lie in front of the fireplace till he was hot to the touch and I often wondered why his hair did not ignite. Our new Lab Woodrow also likes to lie in front of the fire but will get up every once in a while to lie on the tile and cool down before going back.

/ Dogs and warm stoves #14  
I have the same situation with my chihuahua. Although I don't have a stove. In the winter cold months he will sit in front of the fireplace and make a yelp every so often. What is funny is that he is yelping to get me to light the gas logs. Once they are lite he lays down for a warm nap. :laughing:

/ Dogs and warm stoves
My big girl is just the opposite, she loves to lay in the "Cool". Here favorite spot in the summer is where the cooler blast hits her the hardest. Once in a while when we are outside she lays in the sun a little while. But soon finds a cool shady place.

Bobby girl and her puppy don't much care, sun or shade is fine with them. Even when its over 100, Bobby hunts (anything that will run from her. Lizards her favorite.). Puppy Brat (Her name ) not as big a hunter, she spends most of her time bugging mom or me if I'm out trying to work. When we both chase her off she just plops down most anywhere. They are the outside dogs.

Kirby is the inside dog all 150# of her. All 3 of them want to be close to me, all at the same time, Sun, Shade, Hot or Cold.

Pic #1 is Brat & Kirby #2 Kirby Grinning #3 Brats mother Bobby #4 Brat chewing on an old antler.

I didn,t know there was such a thing as a "cool blast" in Tucson:laughing: You want cool come to nortern Minnesota the week of Xmas-new year,thats cool:D Possibly 50 degrees cooler than your chest freezer.Dogs,mans BEST friend:thumbsup:Dave

/ Dogs and warm stoves #16  
In the winter I sometimes will use a small electric heater by my feet at my desk and my Dog, a Brittany, will lay right up touching the heater and I have to actually pull him away from the grill that is just a few inches away from the red hot element and I can feel his side is red hot... I don't know if he would just lay there and roast or finally get up...LOL

/ Dogs and warm stoves
In the winter I sometimes will use a small electric heater by my feet at my desk and my Dog, a Brittany, will lay right up touching the heater and I have to actually pull him away from the grill that is just a few inches away from the red hot element and I can feel his side is red hot... I don't know if he would just lay there and roast or finally get up...LOL

Hi Bob, been awhile since I,ve [talked to you]. Just came in from splitting sugar maple firewood,only cut the dead stuff.Nice to have the help so we try to make a day of it.As for the dogs and stoves,I think they,ll lay there till they combust:laughing:Take care:thumbsup:Dave

/ Dogs and warm stoves #18  
:thumbsup:Oh yes.mine love it.I had a basset hound once who would lay so close to it.One day I smelled something funny.(like hair burning) Sure enough it was melting no flame but melting and smellin. I yelled to her and her eyes opened and then closed agian. Sh thought nothing of it..:D:D

/ Dogs and warm stoves #19  
My last American bulldog would lay behind the wood stove and when he would get up and come to you could barley touch him! Not sure why they like to get that hot.