Grandson on TLB

/ Grandson on TLB
Well Jaypa, I think the above statement is the core reward for that young boy. It is amazing what those 3 things can do for anyone struggling.

Thank you, Dennis. Our grandson just got his first report card. He got three A's, two B's, and one C. The C is in language arts. It's very hard for Scott to read and comprehend. He reads (pronounces) words just fine, but doesn't put the meaning of the sentence together without repeated reading. He also has trouble with describing things in written sentences. When he wants to do something like go fishing, I make him sit down and make a list of everything we need and then tell me how it is used. He has to think for himself. For now, he's a lot better at describing what he needs to go fishing than he is at understanding books, but he's showing progress.:thumbsup::)

/ Grandson on TLB #12  
Thank you, Dennis. Our grandson just got his first report card. He got three A's, two B's, and one C. The C is in language arts. It's very hard for Scott to read and comprehend. He reads (pronounces) words just fine, but doesn't put the meaning of the sentence together without repeated reading. He also has trouble with describing things in written sentences. When he wants to do something like go fishing, I make him sit down and make a list of everything we need and then tell me how it is used. He has to think for himself. For now, he's a lot better at describing what he needs to go fishing than he is at understanding books, but he's showing progress.:thumbsup::)

Riley is required to keep a journal ... his writing skills are not so good. He loves to read and I get a kick out of it when I ask him to read me some pages from his journal ... he always finds himself not being able to read his own writing ... so we keep that going. When he takes the time he can write good. I think he trys to hurry so he can get it done and then gets sloppy.

/ Grandson on TLB
When he takes the time he can write good. I think he trys to hurry so he can get it done and then gets sloppy.

Oh my! That hits pretty close to home for me. My penmanship was always sloppy unless I slowed down and took my time. As I look back, my handwriting would have improved in speed if I'd just trained myself to first do it neatly. When I became an instructor in the military, I taught for 8 hours per day and filled up chalkboards on a regular basis. I began to print everything and developed a style of printing that is clear, neat, and evenly spaced. I continued teaching after I retired from the military and began to use whiteboards almost exclusively. Several people over the years have complimented me on my printing skills. I can write cursive, but I'm just as fast printing, and it's far more legible. I think I know just how Riley feels.:)

/ Grandson on TLB #14  
Riley has the week off from school and has decided he is going to train a 2 year old Jenny Donkey about 13 hands that has never been handled and shoot a deer. He has had some bucks coming in and he just thinks he'll walk out there one afternoon and get him one ...

Attachments

• MDGC0039.JPG
    MDGC0039.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 98
   / Grandson on TLB
Riley has the week off from school and has decided he is going to train a 2 year old Jenny Donkey about 13 hands that has never been handled and shoot a deer. He has had some bucks coming in and he just thinks he'll walk out there one afternoon and get him one ...

Well, he'll have a lot easier time training a Jenny than a Jack, but starting at 2 years old means he has a big job ahead of him. Donkeys aren't known for changing their ways.

Tell Riley what he should really do is hide out and throw a lasso on that buck. . . :laughing:

/ Grandson on TLB #16  
Oh my! That hits pretty close to home for me. My penmanship was always sloppy unless I slowed down and took my time. As I look back, my handwriting would have improved in speed if I'd just trained myself to first do it neatly. When I became an instructor in the military, I taught for 8 hours per day and filled up chalkboards on a regular basis. I began to print everything and developed a style of printing that is clear, neat, and evenly spaced. I continued teaching after I retired from the military and began to use whiteboards almost exclusively. Several people over the years have complimented me on my printing skills. I can write cursive, but I'm just as fast printing, and it's far more legible. I think I know just how Riley feels.:)

When I started on the police department long before the days of computers and word processors, we had to block print all our paperwork by hand. I never did think my handwriting using cursive was very pretty, but I did get lots of compliments on my printing.:laughing:

/ Grandson on TLB #17  
Well, he'll have a lot easier time training a Jenny than a Jack, but starting at 2 years old means he has a big job ahead of him. Donkeys aren't known for changing their ways.

Tell Riley what he should really do is hide out and throw a lasso on that buck. . . :laughing:

I can hear "Now What Grandpa!!"

He has her leading to the hitching rail, rubbing all over .. she did kick at him yesterday and I heard him tell her "Now Peppi thats not nice" Then I saw him using a cattle fiberglass sorting stick rubbing that leg!!

Says Wednesday is riding day!!

/ Grandson on TLB #18  
Jim, it's great to hear your grandson is making such improvements in school. You are providing him with skills that will help him so much when he is older...and I'm not just talking about operating the TLB. I bet things are different for you and Kathy now that a young'n is around the place.

/ Grandson on TLB
Thanks Lawrence.:) If I can teach him that when he drives he doesn't need to go as fast as it will go and then turn as hard as it will turn, I'll have accomplished a bunch. No matter if it's the Mule, the mowers, the HST tractor, or TLB, he wants to go fast and turn. The Mule will drift when he does that, but it's a bit disconcerting on the TLB.:eek: He's getting better, but the effect of years of video games shows when he drives something in the real world. He doesn't have a bicycle yet (Christmas and his birthday are coming up). We have one of those big pneumatic tire tricycles. He gets at the top of the driveway and coasts down as fast as he can go while standing of the platform between the rear tires. At the bottom of the hill, there's a terrace across the driveway to divert water. He tries to "get air" going over the terrace.:rolleyes: We know he's overdue for an accident and just hope the first one doesn't include broken bones.:confused2:

/ Grandson on TLB #20  
Jim, it sounds as if your years of teaching on your jobs is coming in handy with the grandson. I'd say he's lucky to have someone like you and Kathy.