Grandson on TLB

/ Grandson on TLB #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
We now have our 11 yo grandson living with us. In the past, he was a problem in school, but we've been working to improve his behavior and performance. For each success, there is praise and some kind of reward for doing good. So far, his math and science skills have taken a huge turn toward improvement. The biggest challenge we face is getting his reading/writing skills to improve. Bear in mind that he's only been here for three weeks. We don't expect miracles, but we take the time to work daily with him on reading and comprehension. The next big challenge will be organizing thoughts and putting them down on paper in a cohesive manner. So far, his success has been nothing short of phenomenal in behavior and grades. He is thriving on daily structure, attention, and love. Yesterday, he scored 100 on his math and science homework. He also took a major science test over electricity and scored 100. It was obvious to me that he deserved a big reward, so I took him out and let him operate the TLB (photos attached). What he found out was that the tractor is not like a video game. When the boom goes down, the back of the tractor lifts up and moves around. He didn't like that very much.:shocked: However, the more he dug, the better he got. As he grows, he'll be able to do better, but that's a long way off.

Since he arrived, we have been letting him drive our Kawasaki Mule almost everywhere we go. He has become very skilled at operating and could do that easily by himself, but he's just not quite mature enough in his decisions to let him go by himself. However, he has taken to fishing very well. We were fishing in our lake last weekend and he caught 15 bluegill and 1 black bass. That was three more fish than I caught. He was thrilled to beat his Jaypa (the name my grandkids call me).:thumbsup::D

Attachments

• Scott-on-TLB-1.jpg
    Scott-on-TLB-1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Scott-on-TLB-2.jpg
    Scott-on-TLB-2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 286
   / Grandson on TLB #2  
Thats good Jim and I'm happy for you and him. He will be the better for it.

Remember I took my G'son in at about that age. He is now 14 and has become quite a hand around here. He goes up and down with the grades ... down during Baseball season!!!

Keep it going.

/ Grandson on TLB #3  
Jim
Enjoyed reading positive ongoing results going on from this (your) thread regarding your Grandson ! :thumbsup:
The youth of the world are well worth investing love,time,sweat,blood,$$$$$$$$$, and tears in. Great post ! Big blessings to all.
BTW start looking for your own TLB. It appears that one has a new owner ! :D :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Grandson on TLB
He goes up and down with the grades ... down during Baseball season!!!

Keep it going.

Thanks blueriver.:) Your success has been a great encouragement to me. My grandson has never been allowed to participate in any sport, do scouting, or have the outdoor freedoms country kids take for granted. We plan to end that and get him involved as much as possible. He really loves basketball, so he'll soon have some red-suited December visitor bringing a basketball goal.:D

Bullbreaker: Oh no! I already lost my Kawasaki Mule. You mean to tell me that I now have to give up my TLB too? Oh the horrors:eek:. . . ;)

/ Grandson on TLB #5  
That's great. If every kid had a dad or grandpa willing to give quality time there would be alot fewer problems in society today.

Even if it is not immediate, he'll appreciate and remember every minute you are investing in him.

/ Grandson on TLB #6  
Thanks blueriver.:) Your success has been a great encouragement to me. My grandson has never been allowed to participate in any sport, do scouting, or have the outdoor freedoms country kids take for granted. We plan to end that and get him involved as much as possible. He really loves basketball, so he'll soon have some red-suited December visitor bringing a basketball goal.:D

Bullbreaker: Oh no! I already lost my Kawasaki Mule. You mean to tell me that I now have to give up my TLB too? Oh the horrors:eek:. . . ;)

And the next thing you'll be shooting baskets and throwing the football!!!

Grandma came home one day with a new ball bat ... then some weeks later she said " I don't see you using your bat" Riley said to her "I didn't want to hurt your feelings ITS A SOFTBALL BAT!!!!!!

I know how you can get the Mule back .... I had lost my Gator until I came home with a used Honda 4 wheeler.

/ Grandson on TLB
I know how you can get the Mule back .... I had lost my Gator until I came home with a used Honda 4 wheeler.

That's a possibility, but that also is certainly a long way off. The other day he asked us when we'd buy him a dirt bike. We both said he should remind us when he's 30 and has kids and lots of insurance.:D

/ Grandson on TLB #8  
And the next thing you'll be shooting baskets and throwing the football!!!

Grandma came home one day with a new ball bat ... then some weeks later she said " I don't see you using your bat" Riley said to her "I didn't want to hurt your feelings ITS A SOFTBALL BAT!!!!!!

Careful, those things are dangerous! Super fast & no roll bar :( Of course that's exactly what a kid wants.

I went from a Honda 4 wheeler to a Kawasaki Mule :thumbsup:

/ Grandson on TLB #9  
Careful, those things are dangerous! Super fast & no roll bar :( Of course that's exactly what a kid wants.

I went from a Honda 4 wheeler to a Kawasaki Mule :thumbsup:

Your absolutly right ... I know kids are kids and will do kid things. I have since day one advised him that speed is not an indicator of a good driver ... yes I also know kids do things behind our back...he also knows that G'pa's foot fits just fine on his back side.

Him and I talk alot about safety and find sometimes he reminds me ... that tells me he is listening when I talk.

/ Grandson on TLB #10  
He is thriving on daily structure, attention, and love.
:thumbsup::D
Well Jaypa, I think the above statement is the core reward for that young boy. It is amazing what those 3 things can do for anyone struggling. I bet you and the Mrs are enjoying it as much as him and it sounds like he'll be a right str8 G-son.

Being adopted my self, I say Kudos to ya!