thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #1  

bucktaker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
My wife and I are thinking about having a child together. Im 48 she is 42
We have both been married before and she has a 13 yr daughter who I consider my own (birth father dead). I had no children
We have been together for 4.5 yrs and married for 2.5 we have bumps along the way but both of us are commited to each other and will be together the rest of our lives.

She is healthy with no issues. I had a mild heart attack @42 but no issues since, lost weight and eat healthy and watch bp etc

We keep going around and around about this, what are your thoughts?

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #2  
I'm against it because I see it being all about you guys.

There are lots of kids that would benefit from your parenting skills already.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #3  
You have to ask yourself... "Why do *YOU* want a baby?" ...and does your wife think the same?

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #4  
I am 64. I could have in no way kept up with a teenager at 60. Right now you are considering yourselves first .... but think about a teenager that is going to have a grandpa and grandma for parents. Are you going to be in good health to chase an 8, 9 or 10 year old? Are you going to want to work past retirement age to put that child through college? If you already have health problems do you really want to take the chance of another child growing up without their father?

It could work out. I'm saying wait for the grandchildren. Put all you have into the child you have now. Just practice at making babies. Check with your Dr - most women past the age of 40 are considered high risks for child bearing. Do you have the finances to care for a disabled child if something drastic happens? The risk of having a downs syndrome child is greater the older the mother.

Tell me if I'm wrong - but I'm thinking you have not looked at all the aspects of child bearing late in life. If you are 48 and have never had a baby wait for the grand children.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #5  
Not sure about the propriety with this kind of request here. That being said, lol, my wife and I got two Jack Russells when we were 49 and 50, my brother gave them to us after we said we may get one when we retire, that was five years ago and though we could not do without them there has been significant lifestyle changes to accommodate the high energy canines, we are getting closer to retiring lol. :laughing:

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #6  
My girlfriend's sister just had a child at 37. Her other kids are 11 and 7. I think the biggest problem is the risks associated with your wife's age; there is a lot higher chance of defects and disorders as a woman gets older, as well as risks to the mother associated with the birth.
I think as long as you are aware of the risks, and are willing to accept them, then go for it!

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #7  
I think it could be a great idea depending on how easy going you and the wife are. If you or your wife are pretty set in your ways, it may be challenging to accept the new baby in the house and adjust your lifestyle.

I have seen some of the best parents from those who waited till they were older and established. Older parents tend to have a different perspective on what is important and what really does not matter. Friend of mine just retired and his daughter just started college.

Your wife would be considered higher risk pregnancy, doesn't mean she can't do it. Just be prepared for a more challenging time.

In either case, best of luck in your decision.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #8  
I'm against it because I see it being all about you guys.

There are lots of kids that would benefit from your parenting skills already.

Actually, I figure it's none of my business, but I'd have to agree with this.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #9  
I'd have to say the same, there's almost 15 year between my wife and her older sister, her parents spaced out there kids, however both her sisters now have adult 21+ year old kids, and we are just now onto our second child ( due in march with our first being 2) what we have found though, is her parents are really not interested in our children as they have 'done' that part of there lives, in fact one of there grandchildren has just has a kid of there own, so they are now great-grandparents. So while it is possible to have kids, I think you need to think about them when they are older, and like wise when they have kids of there own, do you really want to be a an 80 year old grandparent?