Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Tractor
    JCB165HF

Default Re: Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?

Today I started rehab again. I'll be going twice a week for the next four weeks.

When I fell I tore two tendons. The rotator cuff has healed just fine and my range of motion and strength is above par for 63 years old and five months and a week post surgery.

Evidently we didn't work on the scapular tendon enough. The surgeon's PA wasn't too happy with my ranges on it. So we are doing different exercises this time to get it where it should be.

He increased the number of things I can do. All I could do was smile at him. He explained that I could use a shovel to dig but I couldn't lift a shovel full for loading etc. I've been doing that for three months.

I can do golf. But no driving and no long iron shots. I'll wait.

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with it, Harvey. Good luck with the rehab this time.
    Bird

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

I'm sorry to hear about you set back too!

My wife had setback too DR told the therapist about 6 weeks ago to push my wife to get her back to work.
    2 weeks in to it my wife screams in pain as the therapist was moving her arm she stops therapy.
    She called the Dr called and he said she was able to go to work with the pain.

She went for 2nd opinion 2nd DR does MRI and it is ripped worse than the original and he said If he was doing the original surgery he would have "OPENED HER UP" (my wife's words) in stead of arthroscopic surgery and if he did her 2nd surgery it would be open she is mulling er options at this point she really dosn't want another surgery the Dr said to think about it and she is out of work indefinitely until it "heals correctly" and that even after 2nd surgery he suspects there would be a 50% chance she wont be able to raise her arm above her shoulder she isnt happy about that because unlike me she isn't follicularly challenged and wont able to do her hair.
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

he said If he was doing the original surgery he would have "OPENED HER UP" (my wife's words) in stead of arthroscopic surgery and if he did her 2nd surgery it would be open
    I haven't had shoulder surgery, but I had a really good surgeon do the carpal tunnel surgery on both of my hands several years ago. I asked him about the arthroscopic surgery and he said he could do that and did for people who did not want a visible scar on their wrist and hand. He said he'd had good luck with it and would do it that way, if I wished, but that of course he could see what he was doing even better by opening it up so he was even more certain he'd be successful. I couldn't care less about a scar there that most people will never notice anyway.

Hope your wife has good luck with the shoulder whether she has the additional surgery or not.
    Bird

Tractor
    1979 ford 1700 MFWD

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtn_harv View Post
    Today I started rehab again. I'll be going twice a week for the next four weeks.

When I fell I tore two tendons. The rotator cuff has healed just fine and my range of motion and strength is above par for 63 years old and five months and a week post surgery.

Evidently we didn't work on the scapular tendon enough. The surgeon's PA wasn't too happy with my ranges on it. So we are doing different exercises this time to get it where it should be.

He increased the number of things I can do. All I could do was smile at him. He explained that I could use a shovel to dig but I couldn't lift a shovel full for loading etc. I've been doing that for three months.

I can do golf. But no driving and no long iron shots. I'll wait.
    Sorry about the setback
    Welcome to my golf game(poor driver of the gold ball )

Tractor
    JCB165HF

I guess it is time for an update. July 6th they released me to resume my life with no restrictions, suggested only 9 holes first time out. I played 18 and nothing's really changed except the swing seems easier.

The shoulder is still tender at times. But I think I will probably go under the knife for the other, right, shoulder before next July. That's when I go onto Medicare and I want to use the good insurance before that. That surgery will be to machine away the bone spurs caused by the arthritis I seem to have been blessed with. I understand the surgery and recovery will be a fraction of the inconvenience I went through on the left shoulder.

Based on what I know now I would do it the same way again if I had the same decision to make. That's just me.

Tractor
    BX2200, BCS 735

I had my hip replaced in Feb. '11 and my total out of pocket was less than $200 because I had not met my yearly deductible. The hospital bill was north of $70K and I've been on Medicare since '09, so I don't think you need to fear the bill with Medicare. Both my shoulders are good now, three surgeries on the left and two on the right. Had two surgeries on my right knee and it still gives me fits so next time will be replacement. Gotta be tough to get old.
    Hate is like drinking poison, hoping your enemy will die. unknown author

I don't know how big insurance premiums are for others now, but with Medicare plus what I consider high prices AARP (United Healthcare) supplement, I didn't have any out of pocket expense for the knee I had replaced. The 30th of this month will be 2 years since it was done.

But anyway, glad to hear from you, Harvey, and glad to hear it's going well.
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

Had mine done early May, and back in the grove at 99% by late June. The pain stopped overnight by late june as well. I still have some strength issues at times, but it'll slowly get better. I have not been to rehab since June 28th.
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

I had a shoulder rebuild last October and I am about 90% now. I took a nose dive off from my tractor and ended up tearing two muscles completely off and tore a third muscle. The operation was around 41/2 hours and the surgeon inserted a dozen post to tie back the two muscles and repaired the torn muscle.

He told me it was the worse shoulder operation he had done, really made my day to hear that. Right now I have full extension and can do most things that I could before.

The key is to do all of the Pt and follow the directions regarding workout. Depending upon age, physical condition and degree of damage it can take anywhere from six months to three years to get to a comfortable level with the recovery so I was told,

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast