Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?
The first thing I acknowledge is pain is the most individual thing we have about us. What is irritating to someone like my father can be debilitating for others. I seem to have got a little bit of his pain tolerance and my kids seem to have got at least as much if not more of it.

I have had shoulder issues for at least twelve to fifteen years. Arthritis along with a very physical environment have left me incapable of throwing balls or rocks overhand for I would say at least ten years. All of us have rotator cuff injuries, age and events work together to cause them.

I'm very excited about this surgery because while they were in there repairing the tears they also machined away the bone spurs, arthritis build up, etc. If my shoulder comes back to 80 percent that will put me back into my late forties or early fifties. I should pick up thirty to fifty yards with my driver, that would be too much fun, way too much fun.

It was about six weeks between the injury and the surgery. Five weeks of that was constant pain with instances of extreme discomfort. I could use my left hand and arm but it was very carefully and there was no strength. The first week after the injury can only be described as one of extreme discomfort. The shoulder as a toothache works for today. That first week after the injury was like my shoulder had an impacted wisdom tooth.

My options were dealing with it or surgery. I have too much going on to have to deal with doing it at thirty percent.

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #12  
Fortunately, that's one injury I haven't had, so no personal experience, but as others have said, I'd expect the doctor's estimate to be pretty close.

But I know for a fellow as active as you that 6 weeks can seem like an awfully long time.

Good luck with it.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #13  
Sincerely sorry about your injury. I have never had your type of surgery, but I have had quite a few other surgeries. I agree with the other member that referred to mental attitude. It does seem to make a difference when retaining a positive attitude. Please do not undertake tasks that the surgeon advised you not to do. Even though you may want to rush things, take it easy. Before you know it, you will be back doing what you used to do. You will probably be limited in regards to your physical capabilities in the beginning, this is to be expected, but in due time you will be doing the things you did before. Please take it easy, and take each day-one day at a time.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #14  
I wish you a speedy recovery, surgery can be so frustrating when your an active person, I am still recovery from a major hand injury that I suffered in August 2011, one thing I have learned is as others said, do everything your told by the docs and pt people, I have listened and have actually recovered quicker than they expected. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #15  
I wish you a speedy recovery...
Take your time or you'll be right back in there... having it redone!!! My friend just went through that surgery with both shoulders.

First one was during hunting season... he rigged it so he could still shoot :shocked: Have you started Physical Therapy yet??? *THAT'S* when the fun :p begins. I wish you luck on the road back to health...

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #16  
Take your time or you'll be right back in there... having it redone!!! My friend just went through that surgery with both shoulders.

First one was during hunting season... he rigged it so he could still shoot :shocked: Have you started Physical Therapy yet??? *THAT'S* when the fun :p begins. I wish you luck on the road back to health...
Have you ever thought about becoming a counsellor for depressed people Dan ? :laughing:

Your positive attitude is very impressive...

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #17  
I had that surgery almost two years ago. Physical Theraphy started one week after the surgery. Fun.... I was not allowed to drive for a month, due to the sling. I could then remove my right arm from it to drive. At six weeks the sling came off. Yea.... Work hard at theraphy to regain as much as you can. Hang in there life gets better. Takes about a year to regain full use of surgery side. :)

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #18  
...Your positive attitude is very impressive...
:confused: Umm, My friend is so much better off after having the surgery done... suck it up :p (is that a little better??? ;))

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #19  
:confused: Umm, My friend is so much better off after having the surgery done... suck it up :p (is that a little better??? ;))
A tad...

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #20  
I had a more complicated procedure that is probably outdated now. I was in great shape and destroyed my shoulder in a sports accident when I was 18.

I had to have a screw put in and had ligament damage but rotator cuff was okay. I can say from my experience, if you are offered therapy, do it. Take it slow and don't over do it. I went back to sports way too soon and have paid for it ever since with tingling in my hand and limited motion compared to my "good" shoulder.

Best of luck.. Oh, I also swear by Glucosamine and Chondroiten or however you spell it.. Hope you heal quickly..