Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #21  
My shoulder was torn in three places..cut me 4 times,,and they did the polish job on the arthur. and burcitus. I wore sling three weeks, but slept in it for 5 weeks. I could not wear the sling at work, as we don't have limited activity any more? I took pt for 6 weeks then started my own work out at home. Attached the pulley to the top of the door and the yard-stick to the wall, to walk it up... Full recovery???

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #22  
I had that operation in 1978 when I was 35 years old. My right shoulder was so loose that it would partially dislocate if I pulled a car door shut while sitting in the passenger seat.

The operation was a complete success and I have had no problems. I too, was told to keep it in a sling for 6 weeks. However, the surgeon saw me one week after the operation and showed me some physio to do after one or two weeks (can't remember which). He said to gently take the arm out of the sling and let it hang down (sort of like an elephant's trunk) with my chest/head/neck horizontal. Then very gently rotate the arm in small circles and replace it in the sling. I was to do that a few times a day.

I was able to return to full (office) work after 10 days (operation on Friday, returned following Monday) and could write with my hand poking out the end of the sling for the first week or two. After that I would take it out of the sling (only) while at my desk.

As soon as able (again can't remember when but I believe I was still using the sling), I did light weight exercises to gradually rebuild the arm. At first just doing curls with no weight and gradually building up to light weight (used my 10 speed bike as a weight) to do curls.

I have had no problems since.

Of course, all this is likely a lot quicker when you're 35. :)

But I think and hope your experience will be just as good.

Cheers.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #23  
I had two tears repaired a year ago this coming February. Mine was complicated by a bone density issue and the doc ended up putting a screw in the bone and some cables to hold things together. They had me in therapy the very next day though that did not last long as four days after the surgery, I ended up in ER with a blood clot in my lung.

Spent the next six days in the hospital with only some therapy the last two.

I don't recall exactly how long I kept the sling. Maybe a month until I ditched the cushion. The worst was slowly going from sleeping in a sitting up position then slowly reclining a little bit more and a little bit more. Even when I was pretty much prone, it was hard to find a good position to keep my arm in. I would wear the sling to bed and have my arm in and out of it during the night.

My wife and I would combine therapy with other errands such as shopping. If nothing else, the sling will keep people away from you and avoid accidental jostling in a crowded store.
During your routine checkups, as you progress you will see others as trussed up with that sling and you will look back at your own progress with some appreciation.

My therapist was the best. He had been in the Army working at Walter Reed and really knew his stuff. However simple and boring the exercises initially are. You need to really give them your best. Wal-Mart has bungee's at a good price. Much better than the flat bands therapy will give you.

I set up a system of bungees at various heights and some overhead pullys with ropes. I stalled out raising my arm past horizontal. I did not think I would ever be able to raise it again. My doctor and the therapist would not comment but I know they were pretty pleased when I finally went over horizontal and slowly managed to raise it all the way up.

I went back to work about three months after surgery. I stopped seeing the therapist at the same time but continued to exercise at home as much as I could and still do albeit not enough of course. I can pretty much do whatever I please but try to think of the easiest way and not to push it to hard. My shoulder does not hurt but my arm will get a little stiff when I raise it if I don't exercise it and stretch it for a week or two.

I had several instances along the way where I ached and thought I had pushed too hard and damaged it but I had not. Good reminders to pace yourself.

Sometimes another therapist or even a student would start me on a warm up exercise while my regular therapist finished up with an appointment that maybe had gone over the time. One of those stand-ins suggested that I rub cocoa butter over the incisions once they healed enough. This will help them heal and close up so as to be less noticable eventually. I am not vain but I had to agree that the incisions do look good after a year.

I actually ended up driving home the last few miles after surgery, lol! It had snowed a few inches and the roads were like snot. A van went broadside while passing us. Just missing us by like six inches, he went into the ditch and rolled it. We had my pickup which had snow tires but is not worth a nickle on slick roads and my wife is freaking out.

She drove some more until we got to the top of this hill and by then was losing it so I said stop and let me drive. So, I slid over and did what I had to do. Good thing the nerve blocker was still working somewhat. After that, I did not drive until I ditched the cushion but still had the sling. Automatic transmissions do come in handy sometimes.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?
It's going good. The ice machine seems to be a real life saver because I'm down to the occasional tylenol for pain. The swelling has gone down in the arm and hand which is reassuring. This morning I had a horrible itch I couldn't scratch on the backside of my shoulder, one of those things that send you up a wall.

I'm excited about the results. I've had shoulder issues for years and the thought of maybe not having to deal with the arthritis and bone spurs in that shoulder excites me.

The pain at this point is like half or less of what it was pre-surgery. I could do a lot more of course because I didn't have the sling nor the terror of undoing the doc's work. I was just looking at a future with a very weak left shoulder and lots of pain.

One of the things I noticed this morning after my shower is the left shoulder doesn't have the pronounced bone sticking up that the right does. Anyone else have a noticeable difference after surgery like that?

Thanks for the replies, not fun, but not alone.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #25  
I had a similar surgery when I was 17. HS wrestling injury:confused2:

It wasnt a rotator cuff, rather what they call a bankart tear. Where the cartilage in the shoulder (labrum) is torn. In my case, torn away from the bone.

It was an orthoscopic surgery, with two small incisions where they tacked it back to the bone.

Post surgery, I had to be in a sling and was NOT allowed to move my are at ALL for 6 weeks. And after 6 weeks, the sling came off, but for the following 6 weeks, I was NOT allowed to move my elbow behind the plane of the back, or above the shoulder. Had to give pleanty of time for the cartilage to re-attach itself to the bone naturally.

It was a PITA for only being 17 and full of energy. Given my age, I probabally healed faster than others.

Wishing you a speedy recovery:thumbsup:

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #26  
I see that others have mentioned their ropes and pulleys for shoulder trouble.

I've had a lot of problems with my shoulders, off and on, the last 3 years; the worst being just aching that kept me awake at night. My orthopedic doctor said he could do surgery on them to "clean out" the joints, but isn't sure it would help. X-rays and even an MRI on the right one show them to be in pretty good shape for my age. Cortisone injections helped, and I've gone through a great deal of physical therapy with numerous exercises.

And the thing that's helped the most is two exercises that I do in my shop/recreation room. I have the rope and pulley that I use for about 30 repetitions, and I have a 2 x 6 that's just high enough I can stand on my toes and grab the top edge of it, then let down enough to stretch one or both arms straight up and hold for a count of 5 and do that 5 times. I do those two nearly every day.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #27  

I've had a lot of problems with my shoulders, off and on, the last 3 years; the worst being just aching that kept me awake at night. My orthopedic doctor said he could do surgery on them to "clean out" the joints, but isn't sure it would help. X-rays and even an MRI on the right one show them to be in pretty good shape for my age. Cortisone injections helped, and I've gone through a great deal of physical therapy with numerous exercises.

And the thing that's helped the most is two exercises that I do in my shop/recreation room. I have the rope and pulley that I use for about 30 repetitions, and I have a 2 x 6 that's just high enough I can stand on my toes and grab the top edge of it, then let down enough to stretch one or both arms straight up and hold for a count of 5 and do that 5 times. I do those two nearly every day.
That's great you're doing something about it yourself rather than going under the knife when it isn't 100% necessary.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #28  
I also have had both left and right shoulders done. My right one was a year ago, the left one was about 4 years ago. It takes a little under a year to get back to 100%. I also dealt with the pain until I could not live with it anymore. It reached a point with both shoulders where I could not get any sleep, either. That's when I went to the doctor. The physical therapy is as important as the surgery. I had always thought PT was like voodoo or something, but it is not.

I also do like Bird, and have me a gym of sorts for my shoulders in the workshop. Pulley in the rafters, bungee cords, bricks for lifting, etc. I do the workout thing whenever I feel my shoulders starting to get that aching feeling again.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #29  

I forgot that I have a couple of pictures of what I use, and that's a 2 x 8 instead of a 2 x 6.

Attachments

• DSCN0035 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0035 (600 x 450).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN0036 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0036 (600 x 450).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 271
   / Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #30  

Bird, a couple of exercise suggestions that may help if you are not already doing these.

Seated in a chair facing away from your pullys, With a handle in each hand, raise your arms alternately keeping them straight and foreward. After 15 seconds or so, raise your arm straight up and hold for 60 seconds. Repeat maybe five times.

Hold your arm horizontal, parallel with your body, arm and hand up in the air against a wall or door frame while slightly leaning forward to stretch the joint. Hold for 60 seconds. Do the same with your arm stretched up towards the ceiling.