Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #31  
wroughtn_harv

Another couple of thoughts come to mind. There was a time when I could place my arms behnind my back, one with an arm raised up, elbow bent and one lower,elbow bent and clasp my hands. I no longer can reach that far with the arm with the shoulder surgery though it is slowly inproving. I am a little hesitant to work on it just to do what I once could do.

The other thought is an occasional ping of pain. I do get an occasional pain in my shoulder. But is goes away. But then, I have had knee repair on one side but not the other even though it was recommended.

I get an occasional twinge of pain in each. Expecting to drop to my knees with the next step, it does not happen. The one that really scares me is when I get a twinge in my groin. I expect to feel a lump down there where one of my hernia ops has failed or I have a new one but so far so good.

What I am saying is like me, you may have these occasional reminders that you are not what you used to be. Perhaps that is a wake up call? As I said before, I try to think before I act but I darn sure still act.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?
Had the same surgery on 12 Dec 11. I'm 51, Monday will be four weeks in the sling (two more to go). First few weeks I had little to no pain. Then last Sunday it started to hurt. My muscles would spasm for a few minutes and felt like I had a toothache in my shoulder. It slowed down last night and has not hurt much today. I ice 3 times a day for 30 minutes. Almost wish I had not had the surgery. Google pain after rotator cuff surgery, lots of reading. Good luck, I'm ready to get outside and do a little, but looks like a fairly long recovery time (5-8 months).

Eddie

How are you doing these days? Are you ready to get rid of the sling?

I only have one fear that's serious and that is of falling. The thought of going back to square one on this thing is chilling at best.

Things are getting busy for me these days. I would say there is a better than even chance that I will be flying immediately after the sling is gone. I suspect I will want to wear a faux sling just to protect the shoulder because where I'm going the traditional male greeting is a fist bump followed by a male hug. That could become painful after about the first time.

The toothache in the shoulder is the best description for what I feel most of the time. Perfect word picture on your part. About a week ago I picked up a cup of coffee just wrong and toothache went to impacted wisdom tooth feeling for about a day and a half.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #33  
I only have one fear that's serious and that is of falling.

I can sure understand that. That's the way I've been after getting this artificial knee. They tell me I have great range of motion, but it's still not the same range as the OEM knee, and bending too far can be quite painful, although I don't really know about the liklihood of serious lasting damage.

Good luck with getting back to work soon.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #34  
Harv my wife go's in for surgery 3/1 for the same surgery.

The dr said
2 weeks no movement,
2 weeks of passive movement (therapist dong the movement)
2 weeks assisted movement,
then therapy on here own power.

Any other suggestions for her Harv.

Bird

Knee question are you allowed to kneel down on it?
If so is it painful?
The reason I ask I have to kneel at work to work on the machines to repair them.

I'm being pestered to get one done by the Dr and it only hurts in the AM and a couple Aleve in the am and I am off and "running" when did you decide to get it done pain wise?

thanks tom

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #35  
Tom, I don't know whether it's the same for everyone or not, but no, I cannot get down on my knees very well. I can do it if I try to keep my weight to the left side of the knee. It seems as if there's a nerve just to the right of center and if I put weight on that, it's like pinching a nerve; very painful.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #36  
Things are getting busy for me these days. I would say there is a better than even chance that I will be flying immediately after the sling is gone. I suspect I will want to wear a faux sling just to protect the shoulder because where I'm going the traditional male greeting is a fist bump followed by a male hug. That could become painful after about the first time.

It does seem like 2011 was a year that showed us our age.

Take care of that shoulder and do the rehab.

Harv are you going back to Haiti? Have they started the house?

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?
It does seem like 2011 was a year that showed us our age.

Take care of that shoulder and do the rehab.

Harv are you going back to Haiti? Have they started the house?

Ubuntu Blox | Haiti Communitere

It looks like I will be in Haiti as soon as I get out of the sling. We are hoping to train 15 to twenty women to be trainers. They will be competent at processing the foam and film plastics into blocks and then building a house with the blocks.

There's a lot of interest currently in Africa, India, Hong Kong, and of course here in the States. It is getting a little more than overwhelming at times, a good problem to have.

As for the shoulder, it is what it is. We'll just have to deal with it. The good thing about Haiti is I will be living with doctors and nurses and working with passionate young people from all over the world. One of my disappointments is American kids don't make up the majority of those with a passion to make the world a better place.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #38  
Harv, hope you recover Max possible!! These comments make me realize how fortunate I am to not have shoulder probs. For me, it's a knee which has been operated on..better than before but not OEM issue, for sure. Get well soon!

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #39  
Quite an accomplishment in Haiti, Harvey. I wish you continued good luck with it.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #40  
One of my disappointments is American kids don't make up the majority of those with a passion to make the world a better place.

Just incorporate texting or video games into the project.:D