Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Well, found out he may have 2 weeks! He has been getting weak and all that has been done for him is routine "test". My mother (an RN), did some online research based on his symptoms and promptly took him to the ER and demanded some test. Sure enough they found a tumor in his pancreas. The tumor is operable, but the Docs said at this piont he is to weak to go through the surgery, not malignant.

He has lost his appetite completely and wont eat much, they tried the feed "pik", but said it wasn't enough. They gave him 2 options. 1. stay at the hospital and see if he improves, but they where doubtful 2. Go home. He choose to go home.

The story is longer, but the endgame will be the same. Had it been diagnosed while he was strong, he could have had the surgery. (Cancer surgeon told me this personally) My mom is superbly upset at his MD, seems the Tumor showed up 6 months ago at 6cm and is now at 26cm, but nothing was said at the time, or up until the ER docs discovered it.

Louis is 76, retired after 36 years at the same place. always an active sort. It saddens me for him and my mother. He is home now and she is doing what she can to help him stay comfortable, ( He actually is eating some)

It's sad to watch a proud man wither away.

Cant say enough how you must be your own advocate when it comes to your and loved ones health.

This year has not been to good thus far.

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #3  
Sorry to read of this and he was doing well before. My Mom had cancer on her liver and blocked the bile ducts...She turned yellow..They had not found it until then, either..

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #5  
That is bad and I am sorry to hear it.

A friend of mine has ALS. I think this is his sixth year. Average life expectancy after diagnosis is 3-5 years so he has beat the odds. But he is losing ground and he is still in his 50s. :mad:

Another friend was diagnosed with brain cancers a couple years back. They gave up 12-18 months with surgery and chemo. He did both. Good thing he was bald because the brain surgeons had to shave his head too, as he put it, "The doc could put his fingers in my brain." :D With chemo there was not any hair left. You could see the big U shape scar on his head. :eek:

He was doing well, making plans, getting "right" if you know what I mean, and died in his sleep about 6-8 months into the treatment. He was in his 60's but still too danged young.

Take Care,
Dan

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #6  
Sure sorry to hear that, Dennis. My father-in-law died of pancreatic cancer that spread to his liver, but at least he was 87 when he died in 1992.

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #7  
Sorry to hear this, y'all have my prayers.

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #8  
In Our Prayers .

Boone

Attachments

• cowboytb.jpg
    cowboytb.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 248
   / Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #9  
We just lost a 49 yr old prominent farmer in the community a few weeks ago. From diagnosis to passing was only about 2 months. My thoughts and Prayers will be with your family. Ken Sweet

/ Step-dad has Pancreatic cancer #10  
My wife survived pancreatic cancer. It was diagnosed early during a pre-op physical for uteran cancer surgery. She had the pancreas surgery (Whipple Procedure) and historectomy all in the same operation. It took a huge toll on her but two years later she is doing fine. I feel very sorry for your father and your family. I know what you are going through.