In remembrance of my son.

/ In remembrance of my son.
You guys that have made it over the pain - congratulation, I have a feeling it would kill me.

With respect, I must correct you there.

One does not get over the pain. You live with it, every day for the rest of your life. A part of you withers, another part goes numb, yet another slowly strengthens. However, you are no longer you. It is a kind of death for the parent as well.

Achingback, Mossflowerwoods and Sutol understand this. It's my great hope that none of the rest of you ever will.

/ In remembrance of my son. #22  
I so do know how you all feel I lost my son in afghanastan 10/27/2010 with just weeks to go on his 3 rd deployment . Went right back to work weeks later now a year later cant even function at work . Relocated down in Ga. am starting a small farm it helps but not much
God bless our troops
Sgt. Michael D. Kirspel

/ In remembrance of my son. #23  
This was a hard thread to View and even harder to join in! We lost our son (14 yrs old), 11 yrs ago, when exited the school bus, began crossing the busy 4 lane street coming home and was struck by a car. We can't imagine what he was thinking about at the time that had him so distracted. I can honestly said that this remains The Hardest Day of My Life and remains a painful subject. Wow...I didn't think I could join-in on the Memorial thread.

/ In remembrance of my son. #25  
I so do know how you all feel I lost my son in afghanastan 10/27/2010 with just weeks to go on his 3 rd deployment . Went right back to work weeks later now a year later cant even function at work . Relocated down in Ga. am starting a small farm it helps but not much
God bless our troops
Sgt. Michael D. Kirspel

Thank you for sharing your pain...
I was very powerfully touched by your post.

Thank you for raising a good son, I appreciate both your pain, and his supreme sacrifice.
May God Bless you, your family, and give you his peace.

Be well,
David

/ In remembrance of my son. #26  
This was a hard thread to View and even harder to join in! We lost our son (14 yrs old), 11 yrs ago, when exited the school bus, began crossing the busy 4 lane street coming home and was struck by a car. We can't imagine what he was thinking about at the time that had him so distracted. I can honestly said that this remains The Hardest Day of My Life and remains a painful subject. Wow...I didn't think I could join-in on the Memorial thread.

Wayne,

Thank you for sharing. My oldest daughter is almost 14... I can only imagine the pain if I were in your shoes. My son died over 26 years ago, and he was only 1 day less than 7 months old, and very ill. It is not the same as what you, and the other experienced...

This thread makes me cry, but it also reminds me every day we get is a blessing to be cherished.

God Bless you and your family, and may you recieve His peace...

Be well,
David

/ In remembrance of my son. #27  
Thank you for sharing your pain...
I was very powerfully touched by your post.

Thank you for raising a good son, I appreciate both your pain, and his supreme sacrifice.
May God Bless you, your family, and give you his peace.

Be well,
David

Wayne,

Thank you for sharing. My oldest daughter is almost 14... I can only imagine the pain if I were in your shoes. My son died over 26 years ago, and he was only 1 day less than 7 months old, and very ill. It is not the same as what you, and the other experienced...

This thread makes me cry, but it also reminds me every day we get is a blessing to be cherished.

God Bless you and your family, and may you recieve His peace...

Be well,
David
Well said.

/ In remembrance of my son. #28  
Wow, don't know what to say but will forward this thread to my kids with hopes that I won't ever have to share a similar story.

You all have my sorrow and my best wishes for peace and continued strength.

/ In remembrance of my son.
God bless our troops
Sgt. Michael D. Kirspel

The disfunctioning part has gone on and on.

I too went back to work, two weeks after Chas was killed. I could read and understand blueprints, discuss details at meetings, perform oversight when on the job site. But as soon as I rolled up the prints, left the meeting or went home, everything just left my head. It quickly got worse; over the years, my abilities dwindled and motivation literally vanished.

After 5 years and as many anti-depressants, I'm now off all medication, by choice. Every day is a battle to function, to carry on, to find a reason to get out of bed.

I work for myself now and find that I'm most functional when I push through my anxieties and do some work. This is not often enough yet, but it's better than spending the entire day on the couch, watching tv. Did that for at least 2 years.

Our culture does absolutely nothing to prepare us for death. A lot of suffering could be mollified by gaining a right understanding at an early age.

/ In remembrance of my son. #30  
Familyman, yes, here's to sons and loved ones and the joy they bring...I'll spend tonight in greater appreciation of what I have...2 sons, 2 grandkids...there are joys and problems with both, but I will draw from your courage in sharing and be grateful for what I have. thanks for your post. May your decision to get out of bed become less difficult each day...and I will redouble my efforts to appreciate what I have in remembrance of your son.