Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Default Re: Am I having a strange reaction?

Was the death of the uncle expected?

I suspect that since the ex husband's death was NOT expected that is the shock.

A few years ago a coworker died. I thought he was in his 50's but he was actually in his 60's! He ate well, exercised and was in great shape. He went for a jog and dropped dead. Everyone was shocked at his death because it was so unexpected. About the same time another coworkers wife went for a walk and she too dropped dead. That too was a shock because it was unexpected.

A few years after this another friend was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It was going to kill him and it was only a question of when. The Doc's told him 6-12 months if he did not have surgery and chemo. If he did the surgery and chemo he might have 12-18 months. He did the surgery and chemo. The diagnosis was a huge shock to us. He was in his 60s, had been working bike patrol as a police officer for a few years and he was in the best shape of his life. Then the tumor showed up. He died about six months into his treatment which was an even bigger shock. We knew he was a dead man walking but everyone figured he had a good 6-12 months before things would start getting real bad.

A month or so ago another friend died of ALS. He has been fighting the illness for 5-6 years, depending on who you read the average lifespan after diagnosis is 3-5 years, so he did well. I had just seen him at an ALS walk and he was in good shape though he had to use a wheel chair full time. I talked with him almost every day and he was dong well. I knew he was getting worse but it did not seem too bad. Long story short, he died. He was not at all bad compared to others with ALS and I figured he might make it into 2013 but he died.

To be brutally honest the last two friends to die went out the best way possible. Both died in their sleep. Both faced a future of a very horrible death so they way the passed was a relief but still a shock.

We just had two kids drown in a local river. A 10 and 7 year old. The 7 year old got in trouble, the 10 year old went to help and drowned as well. The word "shock" is not even close to the he..ll that family is going through...

Treasure each day you have.

Later,
    Dan

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Yes, we are all Mortal..To tell now, that I never expected to live to be over 30....The family tree is not a guarantee to how many years a person has to be on earth....Passing in your sleep---could happen at any time..You need to use each day, it is God's gift to you...It is so sobering when people you know are passing...What makes, almost requires, Seniors check the OB column each day???I never figured to be doing that when I was Young??
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I've almost died a few times and don't even worry about. Leaving religion out of the equation, I "die" every night and don't miss anything.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor

Dmcarthy, Was going to Pm. you but cannot find it on this newest forum... Sorry to hear about the guys drowning, and one them was a failed rescue attempt? We had two in tenn. and there were two more at a boat dock near the Ark. and Mo. line? All total--There were 4 fatalitys near the 4th of youth drownings? All caused by faults with electrical eq near landings docks or boats?
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor

TripleR, yes, Lots of accidents thru life...My Doctor even told me I was so close to a stroke in my sleep..The cause was Sleep APNEA.. the silent killer....I hold my breath when asleep, only take a breath every 45 seconds...If I had been drunk and laid on my back long enough, i could force a Stroke. thankfully I was finally diagnosed and fitted with a Cpap machine...If any of you reading have any doubt, Please read up on it on the web...Ask a Doctor, Take a SLEEPSTUDY..it is deadly in its own ways...Jony out....JY..

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Tell you guys something...about twelve years ago I began keeping a list of people I knew reasonably well (co-workers, friends, and non-immediate family) that passed away. The list is currently at 61 names and only four names on the list died because of accidents inclusive of the one I noted in my OP. The rest were natural causes (heart attacks, cancer, etc). The youngest on the list was 24, the oldest was 91. If I think about it, the accident victims were probably a bigger shock to me because the news was unexpected, when you know someone is really ill I guess one tends to understand they may die soon? Thanks to all for your input.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor

JD, Thanks for your input too..It is a good subject..and it is so Hot and Humid outside. My cotton shirt was soaked, when i came in to cool off and visit with my friends on TBN..

Tractor
    JD 4700

Quote Originally Posted by jonyyuma View Post
    Dmcarthy, Was going to Pm. you but cannot find it on this newest forum... Sorry to hear about the guys drowning, and one them was a failed rescue attempt? We had two in tenn. and there were two more at a boat dock near the Ark. and Mo. line? All total--There were 4 fatalitys near the 4th of youth drownings? All caused by faults with electrical eq near landings docks or boats?
    The kids were with family along a river and the youngest went too far into the river, the 10 year old tried to help and got into trouble as well. The report I read said five LEO's responded and went into the river after the kids but they could not find the children. The officers reported that the current was surprisingly strong. Very, very said.

We have been lucky in that there have not been many drownings on the local lakes recently. For years there was a drowning at least by Memorial day and usually a few more on the Fourth. I think the warm winter we had prevented many lake drownings. People do not realize that the water can still be cold in May and for whatever reason they go into the water at which point they gasp reflex takes over, they gasp water not air and drown.

Later,
    Dan

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Since I graduated in 98 We ve buried 4 class mates all from car accidents. One of my classmates little sister was 17 this year and died over night from a mis diagnosed Mono infection. I talked to her one evening at the store and the next she was gone. I had a friend not many years ago asked if I wanted to go deer hunting. It was rainy and I declined. He had a climbing stand and wanted to try it out. I offered to feed his cowsso he could get a start to the woods. Heard a shot when I was leaving and decided to go on home. I got a call from his wife saying he had accidentally shot himself. He was in his stand and dropped the loaded gun. When the butt hit the ground it discharged and put a bullet in his head. That was an erie feeling right there knowing you heard your best friend check out. That and my wreck a few years ago really showed me that life was precious and fragile.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Quote Originally Posted by Arky217 View Post
    I was doing some web searching recently and found out that several of my high school classmates died before they reached the age of 50. I'm about to turn 67; it does make you wonder sometimes why you're still alive when they're gone already.

The one thing about it, we all die; it's just a matter of when.
    Even in the Bible book of Genesis, when you read about the men that lived hundreds of years, the sentence always seems to end with the phrase 'and they died'.

The Bible does say in Hebrews that 'it is appointed unto men once to die...'.
    Whether this means our time on earth is predestined or not, I'm not sure.

However, whatever the length of our life, it would surely benefit us all to pay more attention to the second half of that same verse in Hebrews where it says 'but after this the judgement'.

As for me, realizing that the days of my life are drawing to a close, I can do nothing else when I stand before my God but to plead the blood of Jesus. He's my Savior, my Lord and the Rock of my salvation.

It really is like that old hymn says; 'On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand'.
    When our days do end, may we all be found to be standing on that Rock.

Arky
    Amen!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast