Am I having a strange reaction?

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Guys, opened the local news today to find a story which identified the cyclist killed in a local car/bike accident as my sister's 64 year old second husband. They were married for a few years back in the late 70's and divorced about 1980 and I probably have not seen the man, much less spoken with him, for at least 30 years. We were never close before and didn't really make any effort to get to know each other either before or after their divorce. Yet for some reason seeing the story about his death really shocked me and I cannot understand the reason why. I attended a funeral service for an uncle recently I knew very well but for some reason his passing wasn't as disturbing as learning of this one. Makes me wonder !!

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #2  
Guessing you are shocked, by actually noticing of his passing. had same reaction to past classmate whom passed back in April. I just found out on Facebook???It does disturb the mind?

/ Am I having a strange reaction?
jonyyuma, I think part of it was that I knew he was a fitness freak, ran marathons, biked for miles, didn't drink nor smoke, ate very healthy and you would think someone like him would live till 100...!!!

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #4  
I'm assuming the uncle was somewhat older then JDgreen227...and an older person's death is expected.
But the 64 year old man is probably around JD's age...and when you start hearing or reading about persons in your own age group dying...then you consider your own mortality.

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #5  
Sometimes things add up and we react to things more than expected. Could be "Uncle" is what is came out instead of X brother in law. May God's peace be with you.

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #6  
I'm assuming the uncle was somewhat older then JDgreen227...and an older person's death is expected.
But the 64 year old man is probably around JD's age...and when you start hearing or reading about persons in your own age group dying...then you consider your own mortality.

Exactly. Had that happen last year, with a schoolmate that died just before our 40th class reunion.. Really makes you sit up and take notice.

James K0UA

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #7  
I got my degree in the behavioral science, lots of psychology, social work, sociology etc. then spent my career working with people trying to learn what motivates people, how to change their behavior, how to cope and I don't have a clue why we humans act or feel as we do. I have had similar reactions and never could figure it out, so I am guessing you are just like most of the rest of us.

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #8  
I got my degree in the behavioral science, lots of psychology, social work, sociology etc. then spent my career working with people trying to learn what motivates people, how to change their behavior, how to cope and I don't have a clue why we humans act or feel as we do. I have had similar reactions and never could figure it out, so I am guessing you are just like most of the rest of us.

Many years ago when I was just a 20 something kid, I was doing telephone work at a State Prison, and struck up a conversation with the Counselor that the inmates talk to before they are released. Anyway I asked how many of these guys come back into the system. He stated something like 84 percent return within a year, and something like the rest "just don't get caught, ha ha" I being a smart alec kid said "how do you look your self in the mirror knowing you fail 84% of the time".. He then said.. "I am just here for the money".. I have never forgotten that.:) and it shut me up pretty quick.!

James K0UA

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #9  
Many years ago when I was just a 20 something kid, I was doing telephone work at a State Prison, and struck up a conversation with the Counselor that the inmates talk to before they are released. Anyway I asked how many of these guys come back into the system. He stated something like 84 percent return within a year, and something like the rest "just don't get caught, ha ha" I being a smart alec kid said "how do you look your self in the mirror knowing you fail 84% of the time".. He then said.. "I am just here for the money".. I have never forgotten that.:) and it shut me up pretty quick.!

James K0UA

I thought maybe someday I might understand people, but realize I never will, we are just too complex.

/ Am I having a strange reaction? #10  
I was doing some web searching recently and found out that several of my high school classmates died before they reached the age of 50. I'm about to turn 67; it does make you wonder sometimes why you're still alive when they're gone already.

The one thing about it, we all die; it's just a matter of when.
Even in the Bible book of Genesis, when you read about the men that lived hundreds of years, the sentence always seems to end with the phrase 'and they died'.

The Bible does say in Hebrews that 'it is appointed unto men once to die...'.
Whether this means our time on earth is predestined or not, I'm not sure.

However, whatever the length of our life, it would surely benefit us all to pay more attention to the second half of that same verse in Hebrews where it says 'but after this the judgement'.

As for me, realizing that the days of my life are drawing to a close, I can do nothing else when I stand before my God but to plead the blood of Jesus. He's my Savior, my Lord and the Rock of my salvation.

It really is like that old hymn says; 'On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand'.
When our days do end, may we all be found to be standing on that Rock.

Arky