Sad day

/ Sad day #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
Yesterday a very good friend of mine called to tell me his father had passed due to a farming accident. They had moved to the Midwest a few few years ago and both of them worked for the same farm.

All he told me was his father had been crushed by two 3' x 5' square bales falling on him. He guessed they were about 1,500 lbs each. Don't know any more details. I didn't ask any questions, just told him to call me day or night if he needed to.

His father was a very nice man. The first time we met we started talking as though we'd known each other for years. At one time he hauled equipment to several local farm equipment dealerships and was well known and liked.

This made me start thinking of all the things that can easily go wrong while being around a farm. I thought about all the things I have gotten by with that could have been bad. I had to stop my tractor for a while.

He leaves behind his mother a sweet woman who loves to cook for anyone who will sit down at her table, a daughter in her mid 20's who is also a good friend of mine and the son in his early 20's, who was recently engaged.

Please be thinking of all of them during this time of loss.​

---DT86​

/ Sad day #2  
My condolences to you and his family. Whether its a motorcycle, hunting, boating, farming, logging or changing out the muffler on a car fatality, It just seems so unnatural to me still that if dying is part of living that living should be part of dying.

/ Sad day
Thank you all for keeping the family in your thoughts, I just returned from his funeral services. The amount of people that were in attendance speaks for how good a person he was.

Here is a portion of his obituary...

"D**** R*****, age 45, passed away Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2012, in Alva, Okla., due to a farming accident.

He was a native of Bristol Va, attended East Tennessee State University and was a graduate of John A. Gupton School of Embalming.

He was a licensed funeral director and embalmer in both Tennessee and Virginia. He was a former long-time employee of Akard Funeral Home and was currently employed by Morning Star Farms in Greensburg, Kan.

He was a member of Fellowship Chapel and attended First Southern Baptist Church in Pratt, Kan."

Last edited: