health

/ health #1  

plumbstraight

Silver Member
Tractor
5300 John deere,53 harry ferguson, ck20 kioti, 135 ferguson, 350jd dozer, k40 kubota excavator
We just had a tragety in our family. My bil had gone to the doc for a colonoscopy and decared clean. The second night home he woke up cold and had to go to the bathroom. It was bloody, called 911 and bled out before they could get him to the hospital and it was just a short drive.
I had an appointment set for myself for a physical. Did the usuall blood draw, listen to the lungs and heart and the prostrate check. All good. he asked as he left the nurse to do the blood draw when the last time I had a colonosocpy, told him about 5yrs. He said no problem then. Not long after he came back in and said I found a bit of blood in your stool, think you might need a check. Set me up and went. Results, colon cancer!!! Was lucky they had an opening the next morn and I went straight to the hospital. Got cleaned out overnight and went under. Doc had a tough time of it. Because of taking some hard hits logging and general life, my insides had been roughed up a bit and healed to the walls of my abdomen. Long story short, they took out the last 14inches or so including the appendics as that is where it was. I was very lucky as the cancer had not advanced outside of the colon. All the lymphnodes were clean so they thing they got it all and I won't need any cemo or radiation. I feel very fortunate.
Foks, if you are over 50 go get checked. If it runs in your family as it does mine I would start at a much younger age and do it regularly. Denial will be your death sentence. Take care, a lot of us have grandkids we haven't met yet, that is yet to be born.

/ health #2  
Scary. Sorry to hear about your BIL. Did they cut something when they did his? Glad you caught your cancer early and are rid of it!

/ health #3  
wow! Condolences re BIL. Glad yours was caught in time. Yep, health care makes a big difference.

/ health #5  
Sorry to hear about your brother in law, a friend of mine had that happen, but made it to the hospital in time.

I had my last colonoscopy this November and it sure is worth the peace of mind. I have one every few years. They are no where near as bad as they used to be, got my first one thirty years ago and agree everyone should have this done after a certain age or before if there is history.

/ health #6  
Sorry to hear about you BIL......glad they got you under control.....good thoughts to you and your family!

/ health #7  
The worse thing about the colonoscopy is drinking that god awful stuff.

/ health #8  

There are different methods of preparation, I use to have to drink one gallon of mix the night before, one time I just took pills and the last time I drank the "god awful stuff" and it was pretty bad for sure. You can usually discuss the preparation with your gastroenterologist. You would not believe how much "easier" the prep is now than thirty years ago.:eek:

/ health #9  
I agree. I had to drink a gallon of Brown Liquid that was plum awful tasting. I was given a couple of hours to drink the liguid, but I spent hours and hours going to the Bathroom.

/ health #10  
Glad to hear you're OK now and sorry to hear about your brother in-law.