Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2009 NH 2420 , 1963 Ford 2100

Just came on this thread. This is a link I received from a friend who is going through prostate cancer treatment. It seems to have a lot of information. Aboutcancer.com. My prayers are with you

Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

Default Re: cancer head

Quote Originally Posted by ddmoit View Post
    I would stay away from grains of any kind. Too easily turned into sugar and thus, cancer food.
    ddmoit, Do you have any medical resource links about that?

"All the evidence points to a low-fat, high-fiber diet that includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans, as being the best for cancer prevention. Not surprisingly, vegetarians, whose diets easily meet these requirements, are at the lowest risk for cancer. Vegetarians have about half the cancer risk of meat-eaters.11

Vegetarians have higher blood levels of beta-carotene. They consume more vitamin C, beta-carotene, indoles, and fiber than meat-eaters. Vegetarians also have stronger immune systems."

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=128
    Last edited by txdon; 03-22-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    TXDon

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by txdon View Post
    ddmoit, Do you have any medical resource links about that?
    Don - I googled that Paleo diet Eddie posted about today...and it mentioned not to eat any grains for the same reason....shocked me and I am going to do some more research...please share if you find anything out...even whole wheat is bad due to their genetic manipulation of it and how it affects our bodies...I believe this so far..Here is one link I found ...see what you think...The Paleo Diet | Dr. Loren Cordain, Founder of the Paleo Diet Movement
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor

Brin, are they assuming the apemen never had cancer? I'd be scared to bet my life on an assumption. What was their lifespan? Did they get old enough to even get our diseases? These question have to be answered or I really get turned off when it appears to be a fad diet, like the atkins diet was.

Mike I would not recommend the Paleo Diet
    Read this also - Paleo Diet Is Uncivilized (and Unhealthy and Untrue): McDougall Newsletter - June 2012
    TXDon

Tractor
    None yet

Obviously the Paleo crowd and the vegans are at loggerheads. I'm with the Paleo crowd and am much healthier for it. The average caveman probably did not live that long, but averages can be deceiving. The ones that didn't die during early childhood, break a leg, or get eaten by another predator lived long and healthy lives. Humans can subsist on very poor diets. We did not evolve to be vegans or eat grains.

Tractor

Look at the studies. Where is the Paleo research on cancer???? Don't put peoples lives in danger.

Every link on this link's page is backed by research:
    PCRM | Diet and Cancer Research

"A cancer prevention diet is one that is high in fiber, low in fat (especially animal fat), and includes generous portions of fruits and vegetables. It also minimizes or excludes alcohol. The best diets are pure vegetarian diets.

1. Kritchevsky D. Diet, nutrition, and cancer: the role of fiber. Cancer. 1986;58:1830-1836.
    2. Risch HA, Jain M, Choi NW, et al. Dietary factors and the incidence of cancer of the stomach. Am J Epidemiol. 1985;122:947-59.
    3. Lubin F, Wax Y, Modan B, et al. Role of fat, animal protein and dietary fiber in breast cancer etiology: a case control study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1986;77:605-12.
    4. Goldin BR, Adlercreutz H, Gorbach SL, et al. Estrogen excretion patterns and plasma levels in vegetarian and omnivorous women. N Engl J Med. 1982;307:1542-7.
    5. Lan HW, Carpenter JT. Breast cancer: incidence, nutritional concerns, and treatment approaches. J Am Diet Assoc. 1987;87:765-9.
    6. Minowa M, Bingham S, Cummings JH. Dietary fiber intake in Japan. Human Nutr Appl Nutr. 1983;37A:113-9.
    7. Wynder EL, Rose DP, Cohen LA. Diet and breast cancer in causation and therapy. Cancer. 1986;58:1804-13.
    8. Bingham SA. Meat, starch, and non-starch polysaccharides and bowel cancer. Am J Clin. Nutr 1988;48:762-7.
    9. Rose DP, Boyar AP, Wynder EL. International comparisons of mortality rates for cancer of the breast, ovary, prostate, and colon, and per capita food consumption. Cancer. 1986;58:2363-71.
    10. Breslow NE, Enstrom JE. Geographic correlations between cancer mortality rates and alcohol-tobacco consumption in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1974;53:631-9.
    11. Phillips RL. Role of lifestyle and dietary habits in risk of cancer among Seventh-day Adventists. Cancer Res. 1975;35(Suppl):3513-22.
    12. Malter M. Natural killer cells, vitamins, and other blood components of vegetarian and omnivorous men. Nutr and Cancer. 1989;12:271-8."
    TXDon

Tractor

Ddmoit, did you have cancer or is it just another weight diet for you? How much weight have you lost and for how long?

A non vegan source:

A Register Dietitian has nothing good to say about the Paleo Diet because there is no research behind it.

Lisa Sassoon, a registered dietitian and assistant clinical professor of nutrition at NYU, agrees. "There's no real research behind it either. And it eliminates things that do have research behind them: grains, beans and low-fat dairy."
    Paleo Diet: Healthy Or A Hoax?
    TXDon

Tractor
    NH TC45

So....went to MDA thurs & fri and saw 1. the surgeon who will be my team lead Dr. and the 2. dentist. On Mon we see the 3. chemo man and the 4. radiologist. On Thurs they have a team meeting that turns out the plan of attack for the patients. According to the surgeon the plan for me will likely be radiation then chemo if required and hopefully no surgery at all. The radiation will cause significant damage to my jaw, inside neck tissues, etc. That's why the dentist gets involved. Seems I will need to take special care and special treatments on my teeth every night forever. They will fit me with trays that I then fill with fluoride cream and soak for 10 minutes each night. The whole thing is that the radiation will kill some blood vessels that feed the jawbone and if I don't take special care of my mouth I could lose the jawbone. I will also be living with a water bottle in my hand from now on cause 1/2 my saliva glands will be gone that will contribute to "dry mouth" that then also can cause jawbone death. After they meet on Thurs we will get "the plan" and the schedule, but typically the radiation treatments are 1 hr long, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Guess I'll be living with my son in Houston for 6 weeks........gonna have to find a break in there somewhere for both of us.
    Mike

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by mikim View Post
    So....went to MDA thurs & fri and saw 1. the surgeon who will be my team lead Dr. and the 2. dentist. On Mon we see the 3. chemo man and the 4. radiologist. On Thurs they have a team meeting that turns out the plan of attack for the patients. According to the surgeon the plan for me will likely be radiation then chemo if required and hopefully no surgery at all. The radiation will cause significant damage to my jaw, inside neck tissues, etc. That's why the dentist gets involved. Seems I will need to take special care and special treatments on my teeth every night forever. They will fit me with trays that I then fill with fluoride cream and soak for 10 minutes each night. The whole thing is that the radiation will kill some blood vessels that feed the jawbone and if I don't take special care of my mouth I could lose the jawbone. I will also be living with a water bottle in my hand from now on cause 1/2 my saliva glands will be gone that will contribute to "dry mouth" that then also can cause jawbone death. After they meet on Thurs we will get "the plan" and the schedule, but typically the radiation treatments are 1 hr long, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Guess I'll be living with my son in Houston for 6 weeks........gonna have to find a break in there somewhere for both of us.
    Here's wishing YOU the very best. Please stay strong.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    new holland tn70

Mikim i wish you the best and will be praying for you.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast