About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #91  
Well, I'm doing fine this morning after my 2-1/2 hr chemo treatment. The port in my chest worked great. I was a bit out of sorts last night and only had some potato soup with crackers for dinner. I did not want to push my luck with nausea. About 4 AM, I awoke with hiccups. I still have them, can't seem to shake them. It's not bad, just a minor irritant. As much additional water as I'm drinking, you'd think they would go away. I may have to try the teaspoonful of sugar approach to see if it helps.

I have one frustrating issue with my treatment. One doctor says one thing and another the other. My oncologist has changed his diagnosis, and I'm doing more investigation. It has shaken my trust in him a bit. I'll post more when I talk to another doctor and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. You just never forget that treatments are big money. The more treatments they sell, the more money they make. Either way, the treatments are similar. The length of treatment is what seems to have changed. We'll see. . . .

My Treatments at CC were billed out at 25k per. Can I ask why you went with a Port? My Doctor advised against it saying I had enough problems without asking for another. You did start with the anti nausea pills a week before?

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Can I ask why you went with a Port? My Doctor advised against it saying I had enough problems without asking for another. You did start with the anti nausea pills a week before?

Murph, did they put a IV into your arm each time you went for treatment and then remove it. IVs get old quickly and limit movement of your hand/arm. The port is unobtrusive and seems to work very well. I do have two types of pills for nausea, but they are 'as needed.' I got anti-nausea medication into my port before the chemo. They also gave me a shot to prevent calcium loss and bone softening, a large shot of anti-biotics, and steroids. I think the steroid is causing my hiccups. That's what I find with an internet search.

They told me that the 3rd day after treatment was often the worst. That would be tomorrow afternoon and Sunday. I'm drinking LOTS of water to keep my kidneys/bladder flushed of everything chemo is dumping there. I feel really good today, Last night my face looked a bit jaundiced, but today is back to its normal red blush.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #93  
When I went it was three Treatments per cycle 6 cycles. Had them do a IV each time and Yes it gets old.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #94  
Yep, Jim, there's a reason they call it "practicing" medicine; no one has it down for sure. We like the two MDs in the Lewisville Family Medical Associates; both good guys that I trust, but we recently had a question about getting pneumonia vaccinations. I've read that some doctors say you need 3; 5 years apart, some say that's only if you're under 70 years old, and if you have one after 70 you don't need anymore. However, some say you still need more than one. Sure enough, our two doctors disagree; one said I didn't need it, the other thought it was a good idea to get it. So Margaret & I both got one.:rolleyes:

In your case, as with our pneumonia shots, you may not need the longer treatment, but if the longer one isn't going to do any harm, why not go for it and not take a chance.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #95  
Yep, Jim, there's a reason they call it "practicing" medicine; no one has it down for sure. We like the two MDs in the Lewisville Family Medical Associates; both good guys that I trust, but we recently had a question about getting pneumonia vaccinations. I've read that some doctors say you need 3; 5 years apart, some say that's only if you're under 70 years old, and if you have one after 70 you don't need anymore. However, some say you still need more than one. Sure enough, our two doctors disagree; one said I didn't need it, the other thought it was a good idea to get it. So Margaret & I both got one.:rolleyes:

In your case, as with our pneumonia shots, you may not need the longer treatment, but if the longer one isn't going to do any harm, why not go for it and not take a chance.

Agree. In for a penny, in for a pound.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #96  
Jim, Glad to here you are doing good. My daddy got the hiccups from the iodine dye they gave him for his aneurysm surgery. They knew he was allergic to it and were supposed to give him steroids ahead of time. Somehow it got forgot and his heart stopped with him on the operating table. They shocked his heart back to life, but he had the hiccups for about five years. I always told him he should have wrote a book about different ways folks told him to get rid of them. But what I have found that works for me is to rub your temple while drinking water. My sister, BIL and I stopped at a Hooters after a Robert Earl Keen Jr show. My sister had the hiccups and the waitress told her about it. It worked for her then, and has always worked for me since. I hope yours don't last as long as Daddy's.

Larro

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #97  
It wasn't rubbing the temple while drinking water that did it. It was just the stopping at Hooters that did the trick.:laughing:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #98  
Well, it is right on the way home from The Moon, the bar where REK was playing. The first time we stopped the food was real good. But a year later {both times we went to a show for my BIL's birthday} after we had been to see Tab Benoit at The Moon, we stopped at Hooters again. {it was still right on the way home} But this time the food wasn't good at all. My fries were so salty I couldn't eat them, and my BIL can't eat icebox lettuce and had ordered Romaine on his sandwich. It came with icebox on it. When we told the waitress about the salty fries and the lettuce, she said, "yea, they mess stuff up in the kitchen all the time," and walked off. So the next time we go to see a show at The Moon, we will be looking for someplace to eat after the show.

Larro

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #99  
Larro, I don't even know what REK and Tab Benoit are, but my wife and I ate lunch one day about 9 or 10 years ago at a Hooters just to see what it was like. The burgers were OK, and the service was OK but nothing special, but we haven't been back to one since (we have 2 within 10 miles) because we have plenty of places with better food. And both of the Hooters in our area seem to do well, judging by the number of cars and pickups in their parking lots, but when we went, my wife was the only female customer in the place.:laughing:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #100  
Bird, Robert Earl Keen Jr is a Texas musician, and one of my all time favorites. He was Lyle Lovett's roommate at College Station when they went to Texas A&M. They wrote some songs together, including The Front Porch Song, but Lyle went on to fame and fortune, while Robert Earl Keen is still playing bars. He plays a lot of funny songs.

Tab Beniot is a Baton Rouge blues man. And a good one. He has started a non profit called Voice of the Wetlands, and has been giving a portion of his earnings to restore the wetlands in southern Louisiana since Hurricane Katrina hit there.

Larro

Last edited by a moderator: