About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #121  
Jim,

I have found that a piece of hard peppermint candy helps with upset stomach.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #122  
Yes, the water is VERY important, as it flushes the toxins from the chemo out of your body.

Peppermint, (real, not artificial peppermint flavor) or ginger can be tummy soothing for the nausea.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #123  
He Jim, you just keep on posting. I am not seeing whining here, just a man sharing a life experience with the rest of us. My Step-daughter is going through this at the same time as you (she has lymphoma). She is having some of the same experiences as you. I guess it is just part of the treatment to get rid of this stuff. Hang in there, it will be better soon.

Yep, I see Jim's posts as educational material for some us (maybe most of us), so we certainly want him to continue. And Chris, I hope you step-daughter does well, too.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
My Step-daughter is going through this at the same time as you (she has lymphoma). She is having some of the same experiences as you. I guess it is just part of the treatment to get rid of this stuff. Hang in there, it will be better soon.

Chris, God bless your Step-daughter. I know how hard this is, and I even think it is harder for younger people. They often have family responsibilities that mean they have to keep going even when they feel terrible. I just have the utmost respect and sympathy for those who fight this battle while maintaining every day home duties and maybe even working outside the home. They are true heros.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I tried the lemon juice in my water and it helped immensely. Brach's Peppermints also help mask the terrible mouth taste. I will soon have a bag-o-tricks at my disposal thanks to all of you.:) My wife also bought some little flavoring packets designed for bottled water. By adding those, it makes the water a bit more palatable. My morning coffee is a real treat, but I have to reduce my consumption of that a bit.

Thank you everyone for letting me use this thread to document my journey. It really does help to share with others. This is such a great listening crowd. I know you listen well because you give me such good feedback. Thank you one and all for the support.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #125  
Jim how often are you getting chemo?

Murph, I'm getting it once every three weeks. Tomorrow is one week since my first round. I'm thinking it will be one week of misery after each dose and two weeks of acceptable distress. At least, that's what I've told myself to get through this first week.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #127  
Murph, I'm getting it once every three weeks. Tomorrow is one week since my first round. I'm thinking it will be one week of misery after each dose and two weeks of acceptable distress. At least, that's what I've told myself to get through this first week.

For me it felt like something was sitting on my Head. By the time you feel better its time to go again. Keep this on your mind is that you only have so many to go. Keep track and scratch off the Dates. What is your white count before and after your treatment?

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #128  
My white count went from 97,000 to 400 and was still dropping. Stay away from any sick people.

Murph, any headache problems seem to mostly be eliminated by ibuprofen. In the morning, I do have the "sitting on head" syndrome until I get up and move around. They are treating me the reduced WBC count, but the last test showed me within the normal range, though my RBC count was a little on the low side. I have not had a blood test since the chemo began. I'll have that when I go back at the end of October. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet my symptoms are related to zoledronic acid. My information sheet says that it's effects are magnified with the first dose and then decrease with future doses.

You are absolutely right about staying away from the general public and using intensified hygiene. The only time I hug my grandson is after he takes a shower and changes to clean clothes. Kids just bring too much home with them from school to take a chance.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #130  
Murph, any headache problems seem to mostly be eliminated by ibuprofen. In the morning, I do have the "sitting on head" syndrome until I get up and move around. They are treating me the reduced WBC count, but the last test showed me within the normal range, though my RBC count was a little on the low side. I have not had a blood test since the chemo began. I'll have that when I go back at the end of October. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet my symptoms are related to zoledronic acid. My information sheet says that it's effects are magnified with the first dose and then decrease with future doses.

You are absolutely right about staying away from the general public and using intensified hygiene. The only time I hug my grandson is after he takes a shower and changes to clean clothes. Kids just bring too much home with them from school to take a chance.

I had Blood Tests every week started to feel like a Pin Cushion. My platelet count went down and now I can't get above 60,000 and the Doc's can't figure it out yet. I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia went into remission Nov 2010.