About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #131  
I had Blood Tests every week started to feel like a Pin Cushion. My platelet count went down and now I can't get above 60,000 and the Doc's can't figure it out yet. I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia went into remission Nov 2010.

Murph,
Doesn't your Leukemia explain your ultra-high WBC before the chemo? Normal WBC is 4k to 10k.
And the chemo destroys your bone marrow in order to kill the cancer, thus the low WBC, RBC, and platelets.
Ron

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #132  
Murph,
Doesn't your Leukemia explain your ultra-high WBC before the chemo? Normal WBC is 4k to 10k.
And the chemo destroys your bone marrow in order to kill the cancer, thus the low WBC, RBC, and platelets.
Ron

Yes, I had a three part Treatment. A drug that clings to the Cancer cells and a drug that zero's in on that drug and destroys it. Not sure what the third one was.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #133  
Hey Jim,

It been several days since an update. How are you doing?

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Chris, thanks for asking.:) I'm doing okay, but getting used to chemo takes a bit of work. Every day when I brush my hair, more stays in the brush than I'd like. My hair is becoming very thin (almost bald on top). I have very fine hair, so it comes out easily. The nurse told me I could expect to lose my mustache too. Oh well, I already only have to shave every other day. At some point, I may not have to shave at all.:thumbsup: I have shaved every day of my life since I turned 11 years old. All through junior high school, I was the kid with the 5 o'clock shadow.:D

My 2nd round of chemo is this Thursday morning. I expect to be uncomfortable all weekedn from the heavy dosage and then things start to level out. My schedule is once each three weeks for the treatments until done at the end of December when I go onto a maintenance dosage.

One of the biggest issues with chemo is what it does to your immune system and white blood cell count. I have to stay away from crowds. I pick times to go to stores when there aren't a lot of people and I have to stay away from my grandson's sporting events (basketball in a gym). For example, our VFD had a bbq supper last weekend. I could not go and be around that crowd of people, so I sent my annual contribution check with my wife who brought bbq back home in a take-out container. It's just what you have to do to protect yourself as much as possible against germs. I had my flu shot two weeks before starting chemo, so at least I should be somewhat protected. You just have to alter your lifestyle for awhile and move forward. The only other thing is I find my stomach reacts to some things differently and I have to drink 80 oz of water each day. That's a tall order. I mix up a sugarless lemonade and drink four 20 oz glasses per day. I have a worn path to my bathroom.:rolleyes:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #135  
My BIL want through chemo for testicular cancer and was told about losing his hair. He had always had well manicured wavy hair so save himself the embarrassment of losing his locks he went out and got himself a No1 cut. But the hair loss never happened so he was a 73 year old running around looking like a skinhead and no excuse as to explain away why. We still don't let him forget it.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #136  
I didn't lose my hair either, I was kind of hoping I would so I didn't have to shave anymore. My immune system never came back and my platelets never go above 60k.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #137  
Jim your out look and decisions you are making have you well on the way to good health. I have never had to deal with chemo myself but know many who have. I know it can be difficult for the patient and family. A friend and coworker has been going through a hard time has had 5 surgery s including an amputation over the last 3 years, his attitude and love of life and family have been the best treatment.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #138  
Due to the fact that chemo can deal havoc with your GI tract, don't be surprised if you become gluten intolerant, as if you had Celiac's. I have a dear friend that had to eliminate all wheat or wheat derivatives from her diet, due to that. It has taken over 3 years since the last dose of chemo, but she is now back to eating some gluten, and it is thought she will be able to eat it as she did pre-chemo, given time.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #139  
I'm doing okay, but getting used to chemo takes a bit of work. Every day when I brush my hair, more stays in the brush than I'd like. My hair is becoming very thin (almost bald on top). I have very fine hair, so it comes out easily. The nurse told me I could expect to lose my mustache too. Oh well, I already only have to shave every other day. At some point, I may not have to shave at all.:thumbsup: I have shaved every day of my life since I turned 11 years old. All through junior high school, I was the kid with the 5 o'clock shadow.:D
:rolleyes:

Jim, I just joined today. I'm married to Larro Darro and I've been reading your thread for several days and in fact you're the reason I finally joined. Don't worry about your hair and mustache. I'm sure your wife would much rather have you without hair than not have you at all.

Thank you for your courage and for having this thread. Have been and will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Margie

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Due to the fact that chemo can deal havoc with your GI tract, don't be surprised if you become gluten intolerant, as if you had Celiac's. I have a dear friend that had to eliminate all wheat or wheat derivatives from her diet, due to that. It has taken over 3 years since the last dose of chemo, but she is now back to eating some gluten, and it is thought she will be able to eat it as she did pre-chemo, given time.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support and good thoughts. FG, I'm not surprised at all that your friend could have those kinds of symptoms. I love English muffins and eat a Jimmy Dean's Delight (egg/Canadian/bacon and cheese, or egg/turkey sausage/cheese) English muffin breakfast sandwich. Other than biscuits, I love split and toasted English muffins the best. . . or is that toasted plain bagels? Hmm. . . :)