About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #11  
jinman; I am glad that your surgery and recovery have been uneventful. Many think it is just a disease of females, and I appreciate you telling others to be aware.

Best wishes for the next phase. If any of your Texas friends are needed to help out, all you have to do is let us know.

I have known several friends that have done battle with the disease. All are still living and doing well, but it hasn't been an easy road for some. What they all had in common was having the mastectomy.

Again, thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted!

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Can you share/expand on some of the symptoms you had for us tough guys that never want to go to the doctor? Maybe your experience can help others get help earlier if needed.

Kenny, I'm not the poster boy for taking care of yourself, but I am smart enough to know that unusual things normally mean you need to at least get the opinion of a medical professional. My problems probably started showing up about 20 years ago. I know that sounds like a long time ago, but that's when I had my first clue.

In 1993, I noticed a soreness under my left nipple and it didn't go away. I saw a doctor and was referred to a surgeon. The surgeon said it probably wasn't anything serious, but the best method was to remove the gland and then have a pathology report. He said it might be something similar to gynecomastia. We removed the gland with an out-patient day surgery and the pathology report came back negative.

Fast forward 15 years to 2008 and I noticed something similar under my right nipple. I talked to my physician and he sent me to my current surgeon on a consult. From the time I noticed the symptoms until I saw the surgeon it was about three weeks. During that time the soreness went away and there was very little evidence of anything. The surgeon told me that the previous surgery on the left side was probably something similar on the right side, but there seemed to be little if any evidence. He suggested that I watch it and check often for further symptoms and to return if anything happened.

So, earlier this year in May, I noticed some soreness. With my history, I expected it to subside, but it did not. The area continued to be sore and then it also had swelling. In the beginning of August, the swelling finally became severe enough that it caused the nipple to invert. That's when I knew I had to get it looked at. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor for the next day and she had me see the surgeon on that same day since they are in the same clinic. The surgeon did a needle biopsy and scheduled me for surgery. He said the safest way was to do a full mastectomy on my right side and also remove the lymph nodes under my right arm.

Here is where being a man is so different from being a woman who faces this surgery. I didn't hesitate for a second to agree and there is just no emotional baggage to deal with. Especially at my age (65) there is just nothing but relief to have all that mass removed. Women have to heal both physically and emotionally to this type of surgery because it is an assault on their femininity as well as their body, but my only concerns are that all the malignancy is gone or will be with treatment. I can concentrate all my efforts and emotions exclusively on getting better.:)

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #14  
Jim,
I'm glad to hear your doctors are aggressively attacking your problem. I'm sure you have studied up on the lymphatic system and how important it is to do more tests and perhaps radiation with chemo even though they haven't detected anything positive beyond number 2 from the procedures done to date.
Ron

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #15  
Thanks for sharing Jim, I )and I'm sure many others as well) really do appreciate your openness.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #16  
Jim, glad to hear you're on the mend.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #17  
Best wishes Jim.
Thanks for sharing such personal information, i'm sure it wasn't easy, but as usual, you are always willing to help out those of us at TBN.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Thanks everyone for your continued good wishes. I'm continuing to heal with some soreness and swelling around the upper part of the incision near my armpit. As the surgeon said, there's a lot more removed than just under the incision. I can expect some soreness in that area as the nerves start to heal. In some ways the soreness is good because it reminds me not to overdo. It's not enough to stop me from sleeping. Last night I slept for 6-1/2 hours straight through. Anything over 6 hours is plenty for me.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #20  
Wow Jim! I saw your mention about this on my repair thread, but didn't now what it was about. If you need anything at all, you have my phone number and you give me a call. Heaven knows you've helped me out of a jam more than once. Prayers for a swift recovery coming to you!