About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #21  
Jim sorry to hear about this, wishing you a speedy recovery.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Thanks John and James.:) Nobody is lucky who has to deal with cancer, but if you have it, this is a very good time for treatment. Medicine and treatments are truly marvelous and getting better all the time. How lucky we are to live in a time when help is available.:thumbsup:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #23  
Best wishes and thanks so much for sharing the years of history.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #24  
Jim prayers for your recovery and thanks for the "inside" information

Last edited:
Yesterday was two weeks since my surgery. Most of the swelling around the incision has gone away, but now the nerves are coming back and there's some soreness where they removed so much under my right arm. It's just sore like a bruise, no constant pain. The worst is probably itching from everything healing. I'm back to normal activity with limited lifting. If there is something heavy, I lift it with my left hand/arm. However, I did help my wife in the garden yesterday and I picked about 7 of our 10 gallons of blackeyed peas. She picked okra and squash and then helped me finish the pea pickin'. Today, I'm gonna get on the mower and cut grass after the dew dries off a bit. I'd say I'm at the 80% mark of what I was before the surgery. I told my brother that I won't be lifting any golf-cart batteries for awhile. I bought new batteries and changed them out in his golf-cart before the surgery because I knew I wouldn't be up to it afterwards. He calls me every two or three days to check up on me and tell me how well his golf-cart is running.:D

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #26  
Yesterday was two weeks since my surgery. Most of the swelling around the incision has gone away, but now the nerves are coming back and there's some soreness where they removed so much under my right arm. It's just sore like a bruise, no constant pain. The worst is probably itching from everything healing. I'm back to normal activity with limited lifting. If there is something heavy, I lift it with my left hand/arm. However, I did help my wife in the garden yesterday and I picked about 7 of our 10 gallons of blackeyed peas. She picked okra and squash and then helped me finish the pea pickin'. Today, I'm gonna get on the mower and cut grass after the dew dries off a bit. I'd say I'm at the 80% mark of what I was before the surgery. I told my brother that I won't be lifting any golf-cart batteries for awhile. I bought new batteries and changed them out in his golf-cart before the surgery because I knew I wouldn't be up to it afterwards. He calls me every two or three days to check up on me and tell me how well his golf-cart is running.:D

Nothing wrong with being a "Lefty". I've been one all my life.:)

Did they tell you to do exercises every day to keep fluid from building up in your right arm?

Ron

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #27  
Jim, I'm glad to hear you are doing so well after your surgery and hope you continue down a smooth path to full recovery. It's a good thing you got the golf cart going for your brother before all this happened!

Did they tell you to do exercises every day to keep fluid from building up in your right arm?

Ron

Well, I'm not doing anything less with my right arm except lifting. Yesterday, I moved a heavy toolbox and did it with my left hand. I do most everything I did before. The Dr said that the chances of swelling in the arm like it used to do after a radical operation was almost nil. I've had no swelling except in the immediate vicinity of the incision. However, when I lay on my left side, I look more like a period than a colon. . . if you know what I mean.:D

Lawrence: Thanks for the good wishes. I'm trying to make sure I keep all my tires aired up too. Changing tires is not on my list of approved activities either.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #30  
I think you are very brave for coming on here and saying what you have and would like to thank you for doing so.

More people need to be made aware that men can and do get this disease as well. At the moment there is a big stigma around it that should not exist.

Best of luck with your recovery - keep us updated.