About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
We don't think much about it, but there is also a high instance of breast cancer in men. Several weeks ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy on August 20th. I was discharged from the hospital on August 24th and had my stitches removed yesterday afternoon at my doctor's clinic. In the weeks ahead, I will undergo a PET scan to look for more cancer, but my doctor says it's doubtful. So far, only the tumor and two lymph nodes have shown positive. My doctor says it is doubtful the cancer has spread farther, but he wants to do all tests to see if anything can be detected even down to the cellular level. He is suggesting that I will probably get some radiation and chemo even if nothing else is detected. Over the next four to five weeks, I'll find out the full details.

My surgery has been very uneventful. I took some pain meds every 6 hours after surgery. But after 22 hours, I didn't need them anymore. I only missed one day of posting on TBN since I had my wife's Kindle with me in the hospital. This morning, I went to the garden and picked blackeyed peas. The doctor told me I could drive also, but to not lift heavy weight. Of course, I have a streetcar track (more like a roller coaster track) up my right side from about 6" above my navel to my armpit. I have some discomfort where my arm folds, but not much. The most pain has been the blisters on my skin where it revolted when tape was applied and removed.

I would write more, but there's not much more to say. Guys, don't think that breast cancer is a female only disease. It is NOT! If you have discomfort or any hardness, get it checked out. I expect to make a full recovery, but truthfully, I waited too long. I knew something was there and waited about 6 weeks before getting help. I encourage you to not follow my example. If you think something might be wrong, go get checked out.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #2  
Good luck in your recovery Jim, and at least you only missed 1 day of TBN'ing!

:thumbsup:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #3  
Glad you have a good diagnosis. And thanks for the advice, too. :thumbsup:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #4  
So glad to hear the really good prognosis. Here's hoping and praying you "skate" through it all.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #5  
Wow Jim, that one snuck up on me. I am sorry for your bad luck of experiencing that.

I hope they find nothing else and the follow-up treatments go easy on you.

Thanks for the warning. We learn so much when others are brave and thoughtful enough to share.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #6  
Glad to hear what sounds like good news and good progress.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Thanks everyone for your support. I think this is really just a bump in the road, but you can't let your guard down. Nobody is more surprised than me to discover this. I'm also determined to do everything I can to make sure I don't get surprised again.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #8  
Good luck and thanks for sharing -- you may just have saved someone else with the advice and warning.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #9  
Best wishes for your continuing success in recovery.......thanks for sharing.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #10  
Jim, good to hear your on the mend!

Can you share/expand on some of the symptoms you had for us tough guys that never want to go to the doctor? Maybe your experience can help others get help earlier if needed.