Any Pilots Among Members?

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #21  
I earned my private pilot license flying a Piper Tomahawk and have a little time in the Cherokee. That was 30 years ago and have not flown any GA since.

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #22  
Wow 99% stuck wing folks.....:cool::laughing: I was able to rub belly and pat head at the same time, so got into helo's......:laughing:

Been flying since 1985, mostly in military. Went from shooting folks to saving them.....(Army to Coast Guard). Still flying offshore oil rigs overseas.

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #23  
Never really trusted helicopters, too many parts flying around in loose formation waiting to come apart.:laughing:
Thanks for your service to our country.

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #24  
I once piloted a yacht down Long Island Sound and the Hudson, does that count?

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #29  
I learned on a Piper J3, upgraded to Cessna 170B which I traded even for a Cessna 182F.
Crashed the 170, rebuilt it in my garage and earned my A&P doing it.
Then aviation became a business with my getting into avionics, grew the shop into one of the larger ones in Canada and joined the Aircraft Avionics Assoc ending up as the director for Canada.
As the business grew we bought our own hanger and added a Cessna dealership for Canada.
Sold out about 25 yrs ago and played tractors.
As my wife says, springtime has the same effect on dogs and pilots: I still have that 'call of nature'. LOL.

My C182 had long range tanks. Last time I filled her up I told the fueller " Well that's the last one for me"
The 182 was 235 hp and AC engines as a rule burn 5 gals per 100hp.

Over my 'aircraft period' I owned, swapped traded some 25 aircraft from J3's Tcraft, Luscombs Cessnas Aeroncas etc.
I greatly enjoyed what I was doing so time passed by rapidly.
I enjoyed challenges and consequently designed many FAA/DOT modifications a few of which became standards.
My most 'fun' ones were to prepare aircraft for single engine trans Atlantic ferry flights.
When an operator wanted to ferry 5 crop dusters to Africa I said 'sure', simple we will fill the hopper with fuel and install full IFR capabilities to meet regulations. We did it in 3 weeks! fully FAA/DOT approved!

I also modified a C210 for a 'round the world' escapade. The owners financed the jaunt by selling signatures all over the fuselage with mine being the first one applied. Weeks later I got a call from a confrere in California saying "Hey Bob, saw your name signed on the cowling of that plane" kinda cool!.

You think tractors gets under the skin, well planes sure do it for some of us, just costs a whole lot more.
I still get that 'itch' like today as the snow is melting away and the ice leaves the lakes.

While I have not flown again in the last 20 the memories are still there and maybe this year I'll rent and bore a few holes in the sky just for old times sake.
I'd have to do it with an instructor as I long ago let my licenses lapse and would have to redo all the tests etc even thou I have close to 5000 hours.
Bet I do better with a tail dragger than any instructor I find! It is like riding a cycle, you don't forget how.

Thanks for allowing me to share the memories.

Besides tractors, I now am into a sports car with a nice original 'Florida' Toyota MR2 convertible that is about to become a classic collector. Fun! It never has seen snow and is mint.

Last edited:
   / Any Pilots Among Members? #30  
Piloon I have an aunt in california that retired from an office of Toyota USA. When i visited her in 2009,
she had her MR2 sitting in a garage under cover. I knew she was getting older, and their daily driver was
an Avalon, so about 6-8 mos after my visit I called her to see if she would consider selling it, as I'd be interested
and would fly out and drive it back across the country home. She sold it! and she was sick to think that I might
have been interested in it as I could have probably had it for a song.

back to flying, i took 1 lesson last summer, hope to do more this year. I was loving it, and we were able to fly
over the house, g/f was in the back taking pictures! the lesson was very hands on, with the instructor helping
out on landing, but for most of the rest of the trip it was me at the controls. great experience!