A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill.

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Things are a bit quiet up on the hill. My wife's (Bonnie) foster brother, Elmer Dahl passed away on July 6th at the too young age of 60. This has hit my wife hard, as she was an only child, and Elmer was the only brother she had. There was a bit of an age gap (14 years) but the two of them shared a bond that would last their lives.

Elmer was born on the 4th of July, and although I don't know much about his early family life, I do know that he moved in with my wife's family as a teen. He hunted, trapped and fished the wilderness, rivers and ponds. He was Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett all rolled into one and Bonnie was his Pocahontas. After he graduated and turned 18, about the time many foster children leave, he moved just a tad up the hill, built a house and married a local girl and raised a family. Minnesota Hill was his home, and the family that took him in were his family.

He was always around to lend a hand, give kids rides, and just warm the room with his genuine smile.

His absence will be felt for a long time.

10487261_10202811481836352_6196504004596859959_n.jpg
Elmer and Bonnie in the early days.
10461387_10202813527087482_6660083349861648484_n.jpg
Elmer (on the sweet Farmall) and me last summer.

Joe

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #2  
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure nothing I could say would help, but you and Bonnie certainly have my best wishes.

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #3  
Same hear .. Words are hard to find to give comfort .. Sorry for the loss .. Minnesota Hill will never be the same

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #4  
My condolences.

The time for departure always comes too soon and the stay is always too short.

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #5  
It sounds like Elmer was very blessed to have a wonderful family, and I'm guessing he knew it.

My condolences.

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #6  
I am sorry for your Family's loss.

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #7  
Condolences.

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #8  
Same here man,,, Sorry for you & your wife's loss

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill.
Thanks, everyone.

Elmer's family has decided to not have a funeral. He'll be cremated, with his ashes spread on his land in Alaska and on Minnesota Hill. There will be a celebration of his life to be held in his shop later in the fall, when the air is crisp.

That's the way he'd like it.

Joe

/ A bit of silence at Minnesota Hill. #10  
Sorry about your loss, Joe.

Elmer's life was a testament to the kindness and generosity of your wife's family. I have a lot of respect for the folks who make the most of their circumstances.