Something people should know

/ Something people should know #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
2 yrs ago, my wife had colon cancer. Everything went well except the tumor was occluding the entire width of the colon. It had also broken through one lymph node so it was staged as a grade IIIA. Her chemo was horrendous having to go back to the hospital 3 times because of complications. She also ended up in a wheel chair for 6 weeks as she lost use of her legs because of the chemo. Her last two scans came out clear....except for one thing. She now has a tumor of good size in her brain (cerebellum). They never scanned her head as this tumor has been growing for the last year they hypothesize. They do not bother as the chance of colon carcinoma traveling to the brain has a .4-4% chance of occurrence. These symptoms came on really slowly and she thought she just had a lingering cold. This changed to motor problems in just the last month. She is an epileptic so these kinds of problems were common to her. Then the headaches started which were also common place for her. Migraines she experienced before and meds took care of them.
In short, all the side effects she experienced she attributed to her previous condition.

If anyone you know or love happens to get this affliction of colon cancer and it is of a stage past II, remind them to ask...no, demand to their docs about having their head checked. We were never informed that a thing like this could happen. Her life is in jeopardy because of it as she is the later stages of this mass in her head. If she had an mri even 6 months ago, this tumor would have been olive sized and easily taken out with little complication. Now it is a whole new ball game with nowhere near as good a prognosis.

Just attempting to keep people informed because using this excuse of what is called a "rare" event, didn't do a thing for my wife. Demand an mri early.

/ Something people should know #2  
Sorry to hear this, thoughts and prayers....

Thanks for sharing.

/ Something people should know #3  
Having to go thru colon cancer is bad enough now having a brain tumor. Man that's lots to go thru. My dad passed away at 51 because of colon cancer, now my brother went thru removal of his colon because of it. He is 64. I get checked every three years and have for the last 25 years. It's not a nice thing to go thru or watch someone else suffer thru. I feel for you and hope all will come out good for you all.

/ Something people should know
Thank you very much. Colon cancer seems to have become rampant in this country. Because most stage III cancers can eventually spread to the liver and lungs after chemo in a 2-4 year cycle, they concentrate on your trunk for scans. They never think to mri the head saying metastases there is rare from colon cancer. It's like saying plane crashes are rare meaning what? They never happen?

It happens. This type of spread is becoming more prevalent with some researchers hypothesizing that it is the type of treatment that may be the culprit ((standard is called "FolFox" which is the go to cocktail for this type of chemo). Not sure and don't care. Had I known, things would be different.