Personal milestone on my wife's birthday

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday #11  
Harvey,

That's great and anyone on this board who has followed your posts is not surprised.

If you have been talking about this invention then I missed it, but do you have plans to commercialize this?

Scotty,

On your patent, if you contributed something to the patentability of the device, I think by law your name needs to be on it. Its not just the guy with the Eureka! moment.

John

PS: On a related note, my favorite definition is for "ecstasy". Its defined as the feeling that occurs in the interval between getting great idea and figuring out why it won't work!

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday #12  
The patent process can be exciting but many patents get declined, especially as a first action from the USPTO. I hate to poo poo on the parade, but, the patent application listed seems very similar to known technologies. Was a search done for prior art? Just one example. I-CODE supports innovative data tracking in hospitals Good luck regardless.

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday
Harvster said:
The patent process can be exciting but many patents get declined, especially as a first action from the USPTO. I hate to poo poo on the parade, but, the patent application listed seems very similar to known technologies. Was a search done for prior art? Just one example. I-CODE supports innovative data tracking in hospitals Good luck regardless.

There were multiple searches. One of them by a Washington search firm that specializes and charges dearly for patent researching.

I am very very very interested in these existing technologies you're aware of. If you get the time please elaborate.

jmc said:
Harvey,

That's great and anyone on this board who has followed your posts is not surprised.

If you have been talking about this invention then I missed it, but do you have plans to commercialize this?

Scotty,

On your patent, if you contributed something to the patentability of the device, I think by law your name needs to be on it. Its not just the guy with the Eureka! moment.

John

PS: On a related note, my favorite definition is for "ecstasy". Its defined as the feeling that occurs in the interval between getting great idea and figuring out why it won't work!

I like your definition. I experience it all the time.

We're looking at marketing from two perspectives at this time. One of course would be to either manufacture ourselves or have it made by others. Then we market it as a wholesaler to local metal building suppliers and maybe have an internet outlet.

The other would be to find a company that already has the manufacturing capacity and the marketing infrastrucure in place and we license it to them.

If the product is viable then the real investment and return will be in the marketing of it. I accept that and am willing to consider a reasonable compensation for the licensing.

I'm not a good business man. My talent is ideas I believe.

Cliff_Johns said:
That's great, Harv. I hope you have a good examiner, and one who doesn't take FOREVER to process the patent. Good luck.

Cliff

The examiner is key Cliff. I want the patent of course. But I don't want the patent and have it indefensible.

The only party that can litigate to protect the patent is the patent holder or the licensee if that's part of their agreement. If the patent isn't defensible then it isn't worth the paper it's printed upon. The worst thing would be to be issued a patent and then have someone find another patent issued anytime ago that invalidates this one.

We've got this far based upon professional expertise. The next step is the examiner. If in his judgement we're correct in our assumptions, novel and unique and not obvious to someone doing the work, then we have a patent and the right to litigate against anyone using the idea without compensating us.

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday #16  
The link I posted discusses using RFID tags in a hospital. They mention a bracelet that the patient wears and the use of encryption for the data. I may be missing something though. And I would certainly trust a firm that specializes in that sort of thing vs. my opinion. Good luck in getting a good examiner. It's amazing the difference that can make in terms of the length of the process. I have one patent that has been at the USPTO for over four years.

Harvster said:
The link I posted discusses using RFID tags in a hospital. They mention a bracelet that the patient wears and the use of encryption for the data. I may be missing something though. And I would certainly trust a firm that specializes in that sort of thing vs. my opinion. Good luck in getting a good examiner. It's amazing the difference that can make in terms of the length of the process. I have one patent that has been at the USPTO for over four years.

Hmmmmm, I understand now. I'm not sure how it happened but when I copied the link it was one off. Here's the correct link to the patent application. United States Patent Application: 0070062150

I'm not smart enough for rfid's

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday #18  
That's funny. :D Well, I think you stand a much better chance of getting your patent than that other guy. But, it can be a looooong wait.

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday #19  
Mornin Harv,
Jmc was right my name was included on the patent ! Im including a link to what I was able to look up on the site you provided ! Like I was saying, I was just the modelmaker on this project, fabricating all the parts and assembly work etc... Not nearly as exciting as having your very own idea ! But my grandkids will get a kick out of looking this patent up when Im long dead ! ;)

United States Patent: 5421699

/ Personal milestone on my wife's birthday #20  
So, now comes the new screen name: wroughtn harv pat. pend. , or wroughtn p.p. harv, or wroughtn harv ppn, ...