Farmall "A"

/ Farmall "A" #1  

AMP762

Gold Member
Tractor
Mitsu D1550 Farmall super A
I have just become the owner of this tractor and for now I have a couple of questions.What would be the best oil to use And is this a pos. ground system?

Thanks

/ Farmall "A" #2  
AMP762 Yes it is positive ground. You may not know the light switch also contains the voltage regulator. The engines were built when straight weight was the rule so any straight weight depending on seasonal temp was used, modern multiweight now applies based on temps & consumption. Got pics ??? MikeD74T

/ Farmall "A" #3  
AMP762 said:
I have just become the owner of this tractor and for now I have a couple of questions.What would be the best oil to use And is this a pos. ground system?

Thanks

As was already stated look at the light switch, it should have a "B" for Bright and a "D" for dim as well as the off position. As far as oil, they ran well forever on 30W Non-detergent. No one I know now (I have 3 Farmalls now), runs anything but 15W-40 detergent oil. Does great with it. Make sure your oil pressure is good....You might try one of the many old iron websites such as "Red Power Magazine" and "Yesterday's Tractors". In that regard, there is a plethora of information on your "new" toy. Congrats and enjoy! BobG in VA

/ Farmall "A" #4  
Yep.. that lamp switch used a tickle resistor to provide some extra field biasing.

I've been running sae 30 in my cub.. it seems to like it.

Soundguy

/ Farmall "A" #5  
AMP762 said:

Thanks

Mornin AMP762,
I run a short #00 battery cable from the positive terminal to the top of the tranny case on both my A and Super A. As far as oil I use straight #30 wt unless its very cold durring the winter and then I go down to #20 wt. The tractor starts a bit easier for plowing !

Good luck with your new A, its a great tractor !

Attachments

• SuperA07.jpg
    SuperA07.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 322
  • SuperA07A.jpg
    SuperA07A.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 315