Farmall Super M

/ Farmall Super M #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
My neighbor has one I finally took some pictures of. It actually ran about 2 years ago. It has a bunch of cultivator lying around. Has a 3pt on the rear and a PTO.

Worth doing anything with? Were these good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• farmall-super-m.JPG
    farmall-super-m.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 1,427
  • farmall-super-m (1).JPG
    farmall-super-m (1).JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 3,943
  • farmall-super-m (3).JPG
    farmall-super-m (3).JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 903
  • farmall-super-m (4).JPG
    farmall-super-m (4).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 792
  • farmall-super-m (5).JPG
    farmall-super-m (5).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 574
  • farmall-super-m (6).JPG
    farmall-super-m (6).JPG
    273 KB · Views: 636
  • farmall-super-m (7).JPG
    farmall-super-m (7).JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 568
  • farmall-super-m (8).JPG
    farmall-super-m (8).JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 648
  • farmall-super-m (9).JPG
    farmall-super-m (9).JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 600
  • farmall-super-m (2).JPG
    farmall-super-m (2).JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 708
  • farmall-super-m (10).JPG
    farmall-super-m (10).JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 692
   / Farmall Super M #2  
If it ran 2 years ago then I would say try and get it fired up! I personally have never been that interested in those row crop machines but that thing would look beautiful all painted up nice, it sure has a good set of rear tires.

John,

/ Farmall Super M #3  
My uncle had a pair of these that he used up until his death last year. He was milking over 100 head of Holsteins, and did all his farming with them for years. They are tough as nails, and pack a lot of power. After a life outdoors, there isn't much paint left on his, but they still run fine. I used the Farmall H some, and only used his M, and Super M's a couple of times. Compared to the Ford 8n, and 9n's, and small Masseys, and Allis Chalmers that most folks around here farmed with, they were pretty big tractors! Makes me smile a bit when I see folks here talk about 50 pto hp Cuts not being big enough to run a square baler with. We used a Massey Ferguson baler with a Wisconsin motor on it with our Allis Chalmers "C" (probably about 15 hp) to hay nearly 100 acres a year. Even with the engine on it, that baler pushed the little tractor around some, but we got it done.

/ Farmall Super M
Thanks, yes this is not that small, weighs about 5,000k, and a 45-50hp 4 cylinder gas motor. This old it'll out pull my little L. I grew up with the row crop tractors in MS in the cotton and bean fields. Now with all the no till stuff you plant and forget. Plus with the price of corn many have moved to it. Short crop and not to many bugs to worry about...just add water!
Rob

/ Farmall Super M #5  
The tin looks in prettty good shape, and I don't see any major oil leaks. The exhaust stack looks like it has been exposed for a while, so there may be some water / rust in the manifold, etc. I would sure take some precautions before trying to fire it up, but you might be pleasantly surprised. If you ever pull a harrow with it, keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel, especially for the first few passes. Those tricycle front ends can sure yank that wheel when crossing furrows! :D The Super M is a lot heavier than the tractor I used most of the time for that, so it might not bother as much.

/ Farmall Super M #6  
M's and H's are great machines.. I'd try to get er running.. might not take much.

soundguy

/ Farmall Super M #7  
Not sure but I don't think its a Super M. The tag tells it all...if it was an SM it would have had that on it. I believe it said "M". Also they made less than 20,000 SMs, the serial on this tractor is 160xxx. There are afew other items like disk brakes (vs band) and location of battery, etc that sets the SM from the M. Now, having said that, go get that thing!!All the tires are up, 3PT hitch (it has a "belly pump" for hyds), pull the plugs, check in there for water, if he has a hand crank see if it'll turn over....if it does do not hesitate to get it home somehow. It's a lot a tractor!! Good luck and let us know how it comes out. BobG in VA

/ Farmall Super M #8  
Your right Bob, the decal on the hood says Super M, but the serial number plate doesn't. Looks like a couple of swapped parts, but still a pretty clean M.

/ Farmall Super M #9  
Fill the plug holes with atf before you try to roll it over.. then after setting.. roll it over and let it puke out the excess oil... will provide some cyl lube and perhaps free up the rings..

soundguy

/ Farmall Super M #10  
That looks like a great fixer upper with a lot of potential. I use to drive one of those when I was a kid. The Super M was a hot tractor in its day... but I think you have just a regular M, but either way, they are strong tractors!!!!!!!