What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth?

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth? #1  
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720, Yanmar 155d
Hey all-

I'm getting ready to sell my 1952 Farmall Super A and I don't know what to ask for it. It's in fair shape. The paint is older. Engine runs great with no smoke. The clutch will be brand new (I have to split the tractor and put it in). The touch control hydraulics operate FLAWLESSLY- perfecly smooth and no noises.

I've got a correct Farmall A blade, complete right and left hand plow setup, cultivators, spring tooth cultivators, sickle mower, and tandem disc. I also have a parts tractor to go with it, although the motor on it is gutted.

What are these things going for? I bought it 5 years ago for $2300.

Thanks for your help!
-Powerlinefixer

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth? #2  
A few more questions: How's the ring gear (if you are splitting the tractor for the clutch you should have the pressure plate resurfaced, new ring gear (or flip it over) and a new throw out bearing). Do you have the original 6V system/generator or has it been converted to 12V w/alt? Following that, do the lights work? Here's the biggie: How tight is the steering? (do you have to turn the steering wheel more than a couple of degrees before the steering box picks it up?? Back here on the "right" coast from VA up it would be worth a goodly amount with those implements if the above is OK...Not sure about out there...it kinda goes by where you live. BobG in VA

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth? #3  
Powerlinefixer said:
Hey all-

I'm getting ready to sell my 1952 Farmall Super A and I don't know what to ask for it. It's in fair shape. The paint is older. Engine runs great with no smoke. The clutch will be brand new (I have to split the tractor and put it in). The touch control hydraulics operate FLAWLESSLY- perfecly smooth and no noises.

I've got a correct Farmall A blade, complete right and left hand plow setup, cultivators, spring tooth cultivators, sickle mower, and tandem disc. I also have a parts tractor to go with it, although the motor on it is gutted.

What are these things going for? I bought it 5 years ago for $2300.

Thanks for your help!
-Powerlinefixer

With all those implements in the deal, I'd ask $3000. A dealer probably could get $1500-2000 for the tractor alone.

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth?
BobG_in_VA said:
A few more questions: How's the ring gear (if you are splitting the tractor for the clutch you should have the pressure plate resurfaced, new ring gear (or flip it over) and a new throw out bearing). Do you have the original 6V system/generator or has it been converted to 12V w/alt? Following that, do the lights work? Here's the biggie: How tight is the steering? (do you have to turn the steering wheel more than a couple of degrees before the steering box picks it up?? Back here on the "right" coast from VA up it would be worth a goodly amount with those implements if the above is OK...Not sure about out there...it kinda goes by where you live. BobG in VA

The starter always engaged and stayed engaged so I guess the ring gear is good. If not I'll flip the gear like you said. I got a clutch kit so it comes with the T/O bearing and pressure plate.

It has the original 6 volt system, but the lights don't work. Is it worth more as 12 volt or 6 volt?

The steering wheel dosen't turn a couple of degrees before the box picks up. It turns a couple DOZEN degrees. That's okay because the steering box on the parts tractor is good.

Thanks for the input and help. Like I say I'm in the dark about prices. There are a ton of A's around here (stumbling across an A/V is not uncommon) and some go for thousands while some go for scrap value.

I hate to be getting rid of the A, but I'm on project probation. I'm not allowed to get any more projects until I finish or sell one....Did I mention I told my wife about the old D4 Dozer down the road for sale? It sure would look good next to the IH TD-35's.:D

-Powerlinefixer

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth? #5  
As you said the couple of dozen degrees before steering picks up is an issue with me. I bought a '74 Farmall 140 that had the tighted steering box I've seen on one that old. I has 12 volt but is based on a generator rather than an alt. If your 6vold system functions well you shouldn't have any raised eybrows from potential buyers. Base on what you've said (assuming you can or the buyer gets the parts tractor, plus all the implements) I'd ask at lest $3500. Back here on the East Coast the implements with a fast hitch are golden. (I got a 1pt fast hitch 2 row corn planter with my 140 (Mdl 251) with a 1pt single bottom plow for $3000. I've done some tin work and wreching but wouldn't see it for $4000 now. BobG in VA

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth? #6  
It is definitely worth more if it starts good on 6 volts than it would be if it has been converted to 12. That is a band aid often use to help a worn engine with weak compression start better, and collecters like everything as original as possible. I agree with asking at least 3K with all those implements or 3.5K if you can tighten up the steering.

/ What's a Farmall Super A in fair shape worth?
wolc123 said:
It is definitely worth more if it starts good on 6 volts than it would be if it has been converted to 12. That is a band aid often use to help a worn engine with weak compression start better, and collecters like everything as original as possible. I agree with asking at least 3K with all those implements or 3.5K if you can tighten up the steering.

A couple of times I've accidentally left the trickle charger off and the battery went too flat to use the starter. About 3 to 5 upturns (not full revolutions) of the hand crank and the thing fires right up, and that's when it's cold.