Farmall Cub

/ Farmall Cub #1  

Foozle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
Hi,

I inherited a Farmall Cub and am trying to find parts to restore it a bit. The face plate is not recognizable so I can't obtain the serial number. My understanding is that some of the parts are dependent on the serial number. Is there another way to identify which model I have? Also, it appears it is using a 12 volt battery currently, but I had thought these were 6 volt tractors.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

/ Farmall Cub #2  
Go to the yesterday's tractors website for parts and more advise. Many old 6 volt tractors were converted to 12 volts for easier starting on a worn engine with weak compression. My cub is 12 volt which I like for operating a 12 volt sprayer. The cub is probably the easiest tractor to find parts for after a Ford N, because they were so popular for so many years. These are the only two tractor models I know of for which you can always find oil filters at TSC ($4.00 for the cub filter, $9 for the N when I picked up a couple last night). Do you have any attachments? They really are great cultivating tractors and very good on gas.

/ Farmall Cub #3  
wolc123 said:
Go to the yesterday's tractors website for parts and more advise. Many old 6 volt tractors were converted to 12 volts for easier starting on a worn engine with weak compression. My cub is 12 volt which I like for operating a 12 volt sprayer. The cub is probably the easiest tractor to find parts for after a Ford N, because they were so popular for so many years. These are the only two tractor models I know of for which you can always find oil filters at TSC ($4.00 for the cub filter, $9 for the N when I picked up a couple last night). Do you have any attachments? They really are great cultivating tractors and very good on gas.

9$??? the fram c3 is still 3.99$ at my local TSC.. fits the partial flow oil system on an 8n fine.

soundguy

/ Farmall Cub #4  
face plate? What about the tag on the steering box.

In 1966 the cub went to a 12v generator..e tc.

does your unit have the rounded nose.. or the square doff nose? rounded is older. Post a pic of what ya got.

is your 12v system with a generator.. or an alternator. OEM had the genny. it was a-circuit.

soundguy

Foozle said:
Hi,

I inherited a Farmall Cub and am trying to find parts to restore it a bit. The face plate is not recognizable so I can't obtain the serial number. My understanding is that some of the parts are dependent on the serial number. Is there another way to identify which model I have? Also, it appears it is using a 12 volt battery currently, but I had thought these were 6 volt tractors.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

/ Farmall Cub
Soundguy said:
face plate? What about the tag on the steering box.

In 1966 the cub went to a 12v generator..e tc.

does your unit have the rounded nose.. or the square doff nose? rounded is older. Post a pic of what ya got.

is your 12v system with a generator.. or an alternator. OEM had the genny. it was a-circuit.

soundguy

Well, perhaps face plate wasn't the right terminology. It is a metal plate towards the front of the tractor on the right side. I can see remnants of where it looks like it says "model . . ." but nothing more.

I believe it is a rounded nose, but would need to compare to pics to be sure (I think I remember someone telling me it was in the 1945-1955 age range - they weren't sure exactly). I'm traveling for a week but can post a pic when I get back home in a week. I'm pretty much a novice so couldn't tell the difference between a generator and an alternator -- I'm hoping to increase my tractor IQ, in part by reading this forum.

I don't have any working attachements for the Cub (just a belly mower). There are various attachments strewn about the acreage (one has grown into a tree). I'll go around with a camera some day and post here to help with identification.

I also inherited a JD50 which needs a lot of work, like a manifold that is fused into the engine block by rust, heat and time. I ordered all the manuals for that from Deerely Departed and just need time and experience to fix that up.

Thanks for the input.

/ Farmall Cub #6  
I've had good luck dealing with ralphscubs.com. They seem to have very reasonable prices. The earliest Cubs (47? 48?) had a screen mesh grille. In the fifties they went to a grille with bars across it, and as was mentioned before, they later went to a square hood, and were mostly yellow. The earlier ones were red. They're great little tractors!

/ Farmall Cub #7  
I bought the Fram C3P filter on 5/7/08 for $9.16. Maybe the C3 is cheaper, or maybe I got robbed. The Fram C235 for the Cub was $4.17. Maybe they just charge more for everything up on the Canadian border than they do down in the deep south. Have you been to TSC lately? High shipping costs have moved prices up on just about everything.

/ Farmall Cub #8  
Goto farmallcub.com .They are good people and will help you find the year, etc.. Also places to buy parts on their site. The Case IHC dealers can still get most parts for them too, but I try to avoid them if at all possible because of their extreemly high prices.

/ Farmall Cub #9  
wolc123 said:
I bought the Fram C3P filter on 5/7/08 for $9.16. Maybe the C3 is cheaper, or maybe I got robbed. The Fram C235 for the Cub was $4.17. Maybe they just charge more for everything up on the Canadian border than they do down in the deep south. Have you been to TSC lately? High shipping costs have moved prices up on just about everything.

c3p is overkill.. get a c3. remember .. this is a partial flow filter system.. and the filter is at the end of the line.. the bearings have already seen the junk by the time the filter garbs it..

soundguy

/ Farmall Cub #10  
To the otiginal poster.. an alternator is usually a short fat aluminum cased thing.. lookunder your car hood....

a generator is usually long and tubular.. think short 2-litre soda bottle compaired to a soccer-ball-alternator.. etc

soundguy