1953 Farmall Super M Brake Question

/ 1953 Farmall Super M Brake Question #1  

rblanken

I have a 1953 Farmall Super M. The brakes on it dont work right. I have the drums off or whatever you want to call them. The disk pads look like they are in good shape on it. Everything else in there looks crudy. The problem is that when you apply the brakes they are very weak and you have to really mash the brakes down to get the thing to stop. Dont know what to do from here. Thanks

/ 1953 Farmall Super M Brake Question #2  
The round disc's will probably need to be roughed up. Disconect the acutuators and clean the grooves that the balls run in and if the balls are rusty you might just as well replace them as well as the springs if they are deteriated. Sand up the steel surfaces on the tractor as well as in the brake drum.

/ 1953 Farmall Super M Brake Question
Thanks for the info man. I already know that we are going to be getting some new springs. They are all fine but some of them dont look like they are going to last much longer. So, were you talking about ruffing up the metal disc things that actual turn when you apply the brakes? What would you use?

/ 1953 Farmall Super M Brake Question #4  
Sounds like you are on the right road... the springs/balls need to be doing what they were intended to do, but there should also be an adjusting rod that tightens/loosens the brakes. I'm sure you've checked them but just thought I'd throw it in.....BobG in VA

/ 1953 Farmall Super M Brake Question
Ya, we might get some new balls for the brakes to while we are at it. Probably go over to the Case IH dealer next week and see what they got price wise. Also gonna look at the Antique Farm show this weekend. Thanks Bob