Farmall Super A

/ Farmall Super A #1  

North Georgia

Tractor
Kubota9000 Farmall Cub
Just bought a Farmall Super A and have a slight problem. Wondered if anyone could help the determine what the problem might be. The tractor cranks good but choke has to be open slightly. Thought the carb might need cleaning and rebuilding but still have the problem. Tractor wont accelerate with throtle but will by using choke. Could this be a problem with governor? I knew about this issue when I bought tractor but got such a good price I figured I would be OK.
Thanks for your input...

/ Farmall Super A #2  
With the tractor running... Move the throttle forward. Look to see if the linkage on the governor is moving.

If it is..., sounds like it may be the thrust bearing on the governor. Easy to access, just remove the front cover on it. Look behind the fingers on the cross shaft. There are actually 3 pieces to it. They will deteriorate over the years. Usuallly the cage holding the tiny ball bearings breaks.

I've included an exploded view of the gov. assembly. The bearing is #25.

If memory serves me correctly without looking at the service manual.. I'm thinking you can remove the pin from the bell crank (#14) on the carb side. Then remove the spring that holds the fingers back agaist the thrust bearing. This will allow the fingers to rock forward, to R&R the bearing. But definitely look at your service manual before doing this...!! Sometimes my memory plays tricks with me...

My first experience with this was with my BN. It ran fine, but would only run at about 1/3 throttle. Replaced the bearing, and it was as good as new. I believe I have replaced all of them on what I have, at one time or another.

Being I have 6 tractors with the C-113 or C-123 engines, I keep one on hand. And I do believe the firs one I bought was 75 cents, LOL... I'm sure they are more than that now...

Attachments

• 001CSIH-40359.gif
    001CSIH-40359.gif
    20 KB · Views: 7,886
   / Farmall Super A #3  
as has been said.. make sur ethe gov opens the carb throttle butterfly as you move the throttle.

post back.

soundguy

/ Farmall Super A
I checked and it doesn't look like the carb butterfly is moving at all as you advance the throttle. Do you think this means a problem with governor?
Thanks

/ Farmall Super A #5  
I checked and it doesn't look like the carb butterfly is moving at all as you advance the throttle. Do you think this means a problem with governor?
Thanks

That's your problem...most likely a broken/rusted out gov. spring. BobG in VA

/ Farmall Super A
Thanks for everyones help..
North Georgia

/ Farmall Super A #7  
post back what you find after opening it up.

soundguy

/ Farmall Super A #8  
The "A" I used to have did that. Was driving on the property; all of the sudden it dropped to an idle. Did not matter how I moved the throttle.

I could though, run the throttle directly at the carb; would rev up fine.

Turned out to be the springs in the governor. Funny, got them from Case-IH right off the shelf, for a 65(at the time) year old tractor. Popped those in, and it worked great!

That's your problem...most likely a broken/rusted out gov. spring. BobG in VA