Tractor
    Kubota9000 Farmall Cub

Default Farmall Super A

Just bought a Farmall Super A and have a slight problem. Wondered if anyone could help the determine what the problem might be. The tractor cranks good but choke has to be open slightly. Thought the carb might need cleaning and rebuilding but still have the problem. Tractor wont accelerate with throtle but will by using choke. Could this be a problem with governor? I knew about this issue when I bought tractor but got such a good price I figured I would be OK.
    Thanks for your input...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

Default Re: Farmall Super A

With the tractor running... Move the throttle forward. Look to see if the linkage on the governor is moving.

If it is..., sounds like it may be the thrust bearing on the governor. Easy to access, just remove the front cover on it. Look behind the fingers on the cross shaft. There are actually 3 pieces to it. They will deteriorate over the years. Usuallly the cage holding the tiny ball bearings breaks.

I've included an exploded view of the gov. assembly. The bearing is #25.

If memory serves me correctly without looking at the service manual.. I'm thinking you can remove the pin from the bell crank (#14) on the carb side. Then remove the spring that holds the fingers back agaist the thrust bearing. This will allow the fingers to rock forward, to R&R the bearing. But definitely look at your service manual before doing this...!! Sometimes my memory plays tricks with me...

My first experience with this was with my BN. It ran fine, but would only run at about 1/3 throttle. Replaced the bearing, and it was as good as new. I believe I have replaced all of them on what I have, at one time or another.

Being I have 6 tractors with the C-113 or C-123 engines, I keep one on hand. And I do believe the firs one I bought was 75 cents, LOL... I'm sure they are more than that now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farmall Super A-001csih-40359-gif  

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

as has been said.. make sur ethe gov opens the carb throttle butterfly as you move the throttle.

post back.

soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota9000 Farmall Cub

I checked and it doesn't look like the carb butterfly is moving at all as you advance the throttle. Do you think this means a problem with governor?
    Thanks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Quote Originally Posted by North Georgia View Post
    I checked and it doesn't look like the carb butterfly is moving at all as you advance the throttle. Do you think this means a problem with governor?
    Thanks
    That's your problem...most likely a broken/rusted out gov. spring. BobG in VA

Tractor
    Kubota9000 Farmall Cub

Thanks for everyones help..
    North Georgia

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

post back what you find after opening it up.

soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

The "A" I used to have did that. Was driving on the property; all of the sudden it dropped to an idle. Did not matter how I moved the throttle.

I could though, run the throttle directly at the carb; would rev up fine.

Turned out to be the springs in the governor. Funny, got them from Case-IH right off the shelf, for a 65(at the time) year old tractor. Popped those in, and it worked great!

Quote Originally Posted by BobG_in_VA View Post
    That's your problem...most likely a broken/rusted out gov. spring. BobG in VA
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    farmall super a

I got the same problem, thanks guys will have it fixed in an hour