806 w/ m&w turbo

/ 806 w/ m&w turbo #1  

farmerjim

Gold Member
Tractor
jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe
saw an ad for a 806 w/ a m&w turbo the other day for sale. it has about 7k hrs on it and looks decent metal is all straight and the tires are about 80%. def needs some paint. i'm looking for an older higher hp tractor for running some of my hay eq. is there anything to look out for on the older large ih's? i have heard from a dairy friend to stay away from the hydros and t/a 's. he runs all older red power and swears by them, i have run his 856,656 and others b4 and really like them. they were asking $5800 for it.

/ 806 w/ m&w turbo #2  
When things are used for what they were built for it adds to the reliability of the product bar none!

The TA as it is called is short for Torque Ampifier, proper use is when going up a hill and tractor is lugging down you pull it back as a shift on the go to allow the engine to gain RPM and return to it's power band. Models like the 656/666 had a dry TA and you had better not ever attempt to use it as a brake!!!! Later models they were wet TA's and did not have the same issue as the smaller tractors.

All to often it is used as a braking mechanism that really does it harm! This would mean that the TA lever when the engine is already at low rpms as well as the hydraulic pump at low out put is pulled back to down shift when alot of stress is put on it and it doesn't have the hydraulic flow to work properly.

The hydro is great for PTO work and the most productive transmission that was built for it. It normally was not a great tillage tractor although in moderation it can do it although compared to gear drive I like to see it have tillage attachments one tractor size grouping smaller. The fuel consumption is an issue here with these tractors for some.

Hydro's that are neglected and don't have the fluids and filters changed can kill them. I've seen units that are taken care of go well past ten thousand hours with out anything extra!

On the smaller models like the 656/666 chassis they don't have breake issues as the hydro can be used for a brake!!!! The larger chassis like 856 had wet brakes and could handle normal operation. The hydro on PTO work lets the operator match the load to the horsepower with it's infinite speeds so more work can be done in less time.

Now for an 806 with a turbo it should easily be over 100 pto horsepower and they were to put it lightly a very stout tractor. We have them in our area well over 20,000 hours and were great performers if you can handle the shifter!

/ 806 w/ m&w turbo
thanks for the info art. my friends 656 has the t/a on it but his family has owned it since new so i think when he means to stay away from them its because of the reason you mentioned. what do you mean by handle the shifter?

/ 806 w/ m&w turbo #4  
The 806 is an inline four speed gear system vs the H pattern of the 856. Many people felt more comfortable with the H pattern.

/ 806 w/ m&w turbo #5  
My oldest Son farms with a 1206 CHA and he loves that 06 series. He uses it for pulling the hay roller and discbine. Ken Sweet

/ 806 w/ m&w turbo
heading out to take a look at it this fri.