66 Farmall 140 - Carb Issue

/ 66 Farmall 140 - Carb Issue #1  

buzzhelser

I too, have 66 Farmall 140. I had it tuned up last year (after sitting in storage for 10 years) new carb kit, plugs, points, condenser, and changed fluids. It was running great. It has a belly mower on it, and that's what I'm primarily using it for, mowing some pasture land. The land is pretty hilly. The machine has started spitting and sputtering (under load primarily) when going up an incline, acts as though it's not getting fuel. I can initiate the clutch and save it from dying, but I have to play with it a little bit, help it recover, then get it back down to level ground, then attempt the incline again. I have to think it's a carb thing. Is there an easy way to clean the carb to check for jet blockage. Does this sound like whats going on?

/ 66 Farmall 140 - Carb Issue #2  
If it has been sitting some over the winter you might try some berrymans in the gas and see if that will clean out the varnish left from just sitting. Other than that might need to adjust the carb a little as it may be running to lean.

Hope that helps.

/ 66 Farmall 140 - Carb Issue #3  
I couldn't tell by your post, but if its running "OK" on level ground, but dying out going up a hill or under load, its not your carb...its more than likely the governor...probably one or both of the springs are broken or rusted thru...have someone watch the gov. rod (rod that comes from the front of the engine to the carb) and see if it moves when you get under load. BobG in VA