SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H #1  

iowacorn

Tractor
JOHN DEERE X744, XUV850,FARMALL SUPER H
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU THAT HAVE CONVERTED YOUR 6 VOLT SYSTEMS TO AN H. I REALLY DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PRESENT IGNITION SYSTEM, BUT JUST FEEL IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A SOLID STATE SYSTEM. THEY SEEM TO AROUND A HUNDRED BUCKS, AND THE WIFE SAYS I CAN SPEND THE MONEY.
ANY IDEAS?? ... NOT ABOUT THE WIFE, BUT THE SOLID STATE IGNITION.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H #2  
I haven't done any of my IH's, but a friend told me of a fellow that did the conversion on his 8N Ford, and just loves it.

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H #3  
If it starts well I would leave it be. Why fix something if it isn't broke?

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H
very good point... probably should leave it alone..
nice page you have!

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H #5  
Thanks

Thats my late grandfathers advice, I think of him everytime I Screw something up I should have left alone.

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H #6  
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU THAT HAVE CONVERTED YOUR 6 VOLT SYSTEMS TO AN H. I REALLY DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PRESENT IGNITION SYSTEM, BUT JUST FEEL IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A SOLID STATE SYSTEM. THEY SEEM TO AROUND A HUNDRED BUCKS, AND THE WIFE SAYS I CAN SPEND THE MONEY.
ANY IDEAS?? ... NOT ABOUT THE WIFE, BUT THE SOLID STATE IGNITION.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

I just quoted one today for a 574 IH at $136. Ken Sweet

/ SOLID STATE FOR A SUPER H #7  
There is a distict disadvantage to converting that nobody ever really talks about. With a solid state ignition, you need a good battery to initially start the tractor. With a proper 6v battery ignition, a bad battery is forgiven easier. When I say proper, I mean braided ground strap with good, clean connections at both ends, and a 0/0 guage battery cable. I just came in from starting my super H - been sitting for 2 months. Rolled over about a half a turn and fired right up. What can be easier than that?

At least on mine, as long as you have enough juice to just barely roll the tractor over, she'll start right up and charge. The solid state ignition needs that battery to be good in order for it to work.

I could never really see the point in changing over.