Farmall Super C spark plugs

/ Farmall Super C spark plugs #1  

BoonvilleKid

Tractor
Farmall Super C, Farmall Super C, Farmall Super C, John Deere 955, John Deere 955
I realize that there are a lot of different plugs that will fit the Super C 123 engine, but if you really want the correct plugs, what are they? I have an Owners Manual as well as a Parts Manual. I'm really surprised that the Owners Manual doesn't give any information on spark plugs other than the required gap. The Parts manual gives a part number (353 982 R91 for AC plugs) and another number next to the plug (37 762 H for AC plugs). Neither of these numbers mean anything to the local auto/farm parts stores as their books don't reference either of those numbers. For some odd reason, most of their books show a Model C but do not show a Model Super C. So, does any one know the REALLY CORRECT number of the AC spark plugs for a Super C 123 engine?

/ Farmall Super C spark plugs #2  
According to the I&T manuals; Champion 15A
AC 85S
Auto Lite BT8

I'm sure these numbers are outdated, although you may find some "vintage" plugs on ebay. In mine, I have D15Y's, not even sure that number is any good any more.

Below is copied and pasted from NAPA online, crossing the 15A number, and got an Autolite ASP 386.

Spark Plug - Copper Core
Product Line: Autolite Spark Plugs
Interchange Mfg.: Champion Spark Plugs
Interchange Mfg. Part Number: 15A
Compare ASP 386 This part can only be purchased from your local NAPA Auto Parts store

Here is the link to NAPA online
NAPA Online

In the menu on the left, select advanced search in yellow.

Then select specific vehicle on the next page.

Next page it will show vehicle years. Up in the righthand corner, it will say "change", in yellow, click on it.

On the next page, find Tractors/Agricultural, and click on it.

Next page, select your year.

Next page, select vehicle make.

Next page, select vehicle model.

Next page, type in spark plug, then hit search.

You should get 4 results... 2 Autolites, and 2 Champions.

This search is handy for finding bearings too... But from the beginning, when it asks if you are looking for a specific vehicle, click on "No", then type in a maunfacturer's part number. Then at the bottom, be sure and click on the interchange. There should be a window that comes up to give you the option to find a local store, or buy online. Click "buy online". It will usually show the bearing, and like the Timken, or universal number for that size bearing, and price.

I've found a ton of bearing numbers that way, then Google that number, or searched on ebay for a particular bearing. Usually you can buy them super cheap on there. I replaced all the front wheel bearings w/cups on my Massey 180, inners, and outers for less than $20.00, including shipping. That's less than most want for a complete set, for one side..., and usually China bearings... There are many NOS U.S.A. Timkens on there, if you know your number.

Sorry this is so long, but if it helps someone find a part by cross reference, it was worth it...

Hope this helps..!!

/ Farmall Super C spark plugs
Thanks!, DJ54. That's some excellent information. I was hoping you'd see my post as you helped me a LOT with the Fast-Hitch system.
The plugs that were in the tractor when purchased have been in there a long, long time. They were a mixture of Champion UD16 and Champion D15Y. I just assumed that they were whatever the guy could grab off his bench, but they looked so old I thought they might even be originals!
Thanks again for the info.

/ Farmall Super C spark plugs #4  
Always glad to help..!!

Those Champions aren't bad plugs, but not the best in my opinion. I actually had better luck with Motor Craft plugs. I have a set in my McCormick-Deering OS-6, and ran them in my H and M Farmalls. For some reason B82 comes to mind, but can't swear to it.

Champions, at least the older one's like the D15Y's had a protective coating on them from the factory. They would foul out within a short period of time. We found that if you cleaned them up in one of the abrasive plug cleaners, and get that coating off, they were good to go for years. Usually in the spring, I will take them out, blast, clean real well, check the gap, and re-install. That set in it, is probably 10 years old. I still have a few sets left, new in box, as years ago Farm & Fleet had an apparent clearance sale on them, for like 59 cents ea. I cleaned the rack, as I had 6 tractors that used that plug.

I wouldn't be surprised, that if the cylinders with UD-16's may use a little oil. Another trick we used, was to put a step hotter plug in the cylinder that may have a fouling problems due to worn rings, and burning oil.

Of course, these were all non-resistor plugs. I'm sure all of the new ones are resistor type. The only problem with the "non's', was if you were lucky enough to have one of those fender radio's, you had a steady crackle in the background, that changed pitch, depending on the throttle setting...

/ Farmall Super C spark plugs #5  
Today's crap gas requires a hotter plug than you will find specified in an older book. Autolite 386's or equivalent in your favorite brand will work very well.

Asking for the absolute correct spark plug is a lot like asking for the best brand of engine oil.

/ Farmall Super C spark plugs #6  
I happened to run across this link, while looking for something else in my "tractor stuff" section of my favorites list.

Spark plug cross reference

Maybe if someone else has the original outdated plug number this will help them find the new replacement.

I tried the D-15Y and got quite a few more then NAPA shows, even a NGK plug.