International Cub won't start

/ International Cub won't start #11  
atf would have been better.. that's why we suggested it. it's high detergent.

you can clean the plugs

soundguy

/ International Cub won't start #12  
One time I had a similar situation. My cub has a pull ignition switch and it was bad. Your starter can turn and the switch will keep it from starting if bad. If you have a key switch could also be bad. Wire around these switches to check.

/ International Cub won't start #13  
quick check with a jumper wire.. etc.

/ International Cub won't start #14  
One time I crossed the wires. It popped but nothing more. Rechecked and started. When I used to crank it - what I did with the choke made the biggest difference, and how warm it was outside. I choked it. Got a pop unless it was flooded. Then I worked the choke back in until I found the spot where it ran. When it was warmed up, the choke went all the way in. That carb gums up often over the winter. Sometimes the glass bowl needs wiping out-. A clean carb is important. When added gas to the plugs - it was godd for one try, then they all needed drying and I'd start again. I suggest a battery- sears heavy duty 6v (they sell it for vans). Makes life easier. In the winter I used a magnetic block heater to keep it warm so it would start. When it floods, taking a walk helps! I replaced all of he electrical stuff, wires etc. when I put points in the magneto.
Good luck.

/ International Cub won't start #15  
one thing I did to help the flooding problem was to put a plastic shutoff right before the carb. If it floods just turn the shutoff to off and crank it should start then turn fuel back on.

/ International Cub won't start #16  
hmm..

flooding is too much fuel from either too much choke or a bad float valve.

I'd adress those vs scabbing in extra stuf that is not needed.

besides.. there should be an oem fuel shutoff anyway.

soundguy

/ International Cub won't start #17  
I agree with you soundguy. Howeverthis is an old carb which I have to double gasket because of warpage of the carb top. I keep it inside my building and it is just easier to turn the added shutoff than the regular one under the tank. This keeps fuel from dripping on the floor.

/ International Cub won't start #18  
true up that carb top with some fine paper and a true surface. also.. if adding a 2nd gasket that is throwing off your flaot setting.. that could be part of your issue. have you adjusted your float arm to allow for the extra gasket thickness?

soundguy

/ International Cub won't start #19  
My carb was warped too. I used the rebuild gasket and an amount of gasket maker in a tube that came out gray. Gas resistant. I was careful to not overdo it so it wouldn't run to the inside. Squeeze the parts together so the gasket maker is contacting -then with a nail or something add more gasket maker along the outside edge all the way around. Makes it thicker and helps fill in where it is warped. Squeeze and assemble. Work fast.

I used it on the glass bowl too. I skimmed it along the edge of the glass bowl, thicker on the outside edge so when I pressed it up - the extra wouldn't run down the inside of the bowl. I had two small runs though which I ignored. I let everything dry for a day before adding gas. Never had a leak after that.

/ International Cub won't start #20  
yikes! what a nighmare!!

IMHO.. a new//rebuilt sed bowl and carb just isn't that much money.

I'd only use that technique to get me home or out of a field.

say.. were you the maintenance re-engineer that took care of all my antique tractors before I bought them? sounds like it :)

good luck!

soundguy