IH Cub Lo-Boy

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #1  

jonnieboobaats

Tractor
1969 IH Cub Lo-Boy
I have just purchased a 1969 IH Cub Lo-Boy .
There is smoke coming out of the oil breather. How can I cure this?
Thanks

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #2  
Sounds like the engine has a lot of blow-by. Piston rings are worn, maybe a cracked piston. Engine likely needs to be overhauled. Some smoke is normal, the more worn-out the engine the more combustion gases get past the rings into the crankcase. You could do a compression test and compare the readings to factory specs to determine how worn the engine is.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy
Thanks Jesse,
Did the Compression all up to snuff...changing out oil and filter and see what happens.
J

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #4  
soak the cyls in some old type f atf oil, then roll it out with plugs removed after it sets a day.

see what it gets you.. might be sticky oil control ring.

course.. oil ring may be bad and comp rings good..e tc.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy
Thank you,
Will Mystery oil work?
John

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #6  
yep.. just costs 3x as much... and has some stoddards solvent in it I bet.. :)

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #7  
If the tractor has been sitting up for very long, do what Soundguy recommends and then take the Cub out and run it for a while with a load on it. Maybe pull a drag made of a couple of large truck tires. Get it good and warm and then change the oil.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy
Thanks Soundguy and Jesse....my first tractor try...I'm going to restore it...bought a '47 2N today...my birth year.... this oughta keep me in trouble for the winter!!!

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #9  
i'll be of -some- help withthe farmall. I have a cub and a C.. the Non the other hand.. I got a barn full of fords.

soudnguy